Quality pike rods???

Beebs

Right then folks, I have been pondering whether to invest in a proper set of pike rods and I'm starting to look around. For the last couple of years I've been using 2 FA carp rods, but to be honest, I've never liked them. They do the job, but the blanks are too thick, they're too heavy and I don't like Fast Action rods. However I do have the confidence in them that I can strike firmly with them and they can handle what I have thrown at them so far, but I want a through action rod with a thin blank and light, 3lb TC and any make except Fox.

So what do you recommend?? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more than usual, because they'll definitely get the use. Any info gratefully received.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the Daiwa powermesh Pike for as long as they have been available,at present the X version,but the z version is the newer one available at the mo.Never ever found a reason to change because they have been superb.3 lb t.c. and they can really fire out a bait,or fish the margins if need be.Daiwa's finish their rods very well,and they do take a bit of abuse.If I ever do change,it'll be for Northwestern Kevlites in 2.75 and 3lb t.c.I did get 3 Kevlites in 1.5lb for targeting Tench,and they are superbly built fishing rods,so it'll be a change for me,maybe next Autumn.

Fantastic! It's so good to see pike anglers searching for the ultimate in lightweight rods. Yes, I know that most of them spend 99.9 per cent of their time in rests, but in thsi day and age, we don't want the delicate souls to ijnure themselves, do we?

Just imagine the crippling injuuries you could receive grappling with - horror of horrors - carbon composite instead of pure carbon. It could result in serious litigation against tackle manufacturer, fishery owner and tackle shop from which you purchased something so dangerous.

Perhaps the AnglersNet could set up a support group for frail pikers who had been traumatised by injuries so sustained?

Fenboy

Ah Fenboy, back from the pub ?

I'm one of those odd sods who likes to own tackle that I'm comfortable with. I enjoy possessing something that gives me pleasure in handling & ownership. But then I don't own a bivvy and I don't own a rod-pod and I do like a good rod in my hand. Afterall I was born with a rod in my hand :D !

Back from the pub? If only. Gave up the fags earlier this year (ie 2004) and I associate drinking with smoking, so keeping away for my own sanity. It's a bit of a struggle when it's just 100 yards away, but there you go.

You're a good bloke, Peter. I like your sense of humour. I reckon you've got a diamond attitude to fishing (ie a bit like mine).

Shame you live in Lowestoft, though. It must be painful to be so close to God's own county (Norfolk) !!

Fenboy

My own (limited) experience of rods is this:

I always maintained that you don't need a good rod, necessarily, to land fish. After all, a pike doesn't see your rod.

However, having been able to obtain a couple of nice rods, I can see/feel the benefits.

This is particularly so with my beachcaster - always had £20 cheapies before, 'til a friend gave me a good carbon one (he has more rods than he can shake a stick at!). The difference is amazing - not just on the cast, but on the retrieve, too.

Err, this doesn't answer the question, though - my pike rods are ones that Steve Burke used to produce - Caliber Somethingorothers.

TL,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

fenboy:

Fantastic! It's so good to see pike anglers searching for the ultimate in lightweight rods. Yes, I know that most of them spend 99.9 per cent of their time in rests, but in thsi day and age, we don't want the delicate souls to ijnure themselves, do we?

Just imagine the crippling injuuries you could receive grappling with - horror of horrors - carbon composite instead of pure carbon. It could result in serious litigation against tackle manufacturer, fishery owner and tackle shop from which you purchased something so dangerous.

Perhaps the AnglersNet could set up a support group for frail pikers who had been traumatised by injuries so sustained?

So a scaffold pole with a tip ring then eh??? Thank you for you valuable input.

fenboy:

Shame you live in Lowestoft, though. It must be painful to be so close to God's own county (Norfolk) !!

Lowestoft?? You must be joking! Grubby old town. Naaaaa, I live beside Oulton Broad, 9/10 of a mile from the pub on foot, lot nearer by boat. About 3/4 of a mile inside the Suffolk Boarder, very frustrating. Still, we both talk the same, we tork proper! Both have a high regard for city types who move into the country!!!

Still, as a consolation I note Delias boys are showing those Tractor types how to get back in the Premiership :D .