Quality pike rods???

Beebs

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, Peter, those Canaries are on song. I loved the bit on the news this week about Everton complaining about Norwich fans chanting "Black B******" when in fact they were taunting the pie-eating Wayne Rooney as a "Fat B******".

I wonder why you can be prosecuted for describing somebody's skin colour, but not their size. Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered about anybody calling me "White", but I would be a bit upset to be called "Fat"... and I might get a bit stroppy about the "B******" bit.

It's the little absurdities of life that make me smile. But you have to be careful. The thing that worries me about this forum is that you can say something tongue-in-cheek and get taken so seriously. ANd I'm not very good at being serious: I can manage it for a few minutes, but then I veer off at some daft tangent.

My rods joke, for example. I was just pointing out how WE all are a bit silly spending money on expensive rods when what we've got are probably 99.9 per cent as good. I'm as guilty as anyone - I've bought three new lure rods in the last month alone, to join the collection of 10 or so I already own. Now how many lure rods do I need? I can only use one at a time, after all. And, yes, they are all good quality carbon.

I was poking fun at myself as much as anybody. But then, I go fishing to enjoy myself. It isn't something to get all serious about. Maybe that's why photos of anglers holding big fish look so unhappy. Grumpy, sometimes.

Is that the British reserve, or do all anglers in the world look as though the worst thing that could possibly happen has happened every time they pose with a big fish?

Funny old world, I say.

Fenboy

Guest sslatter

Well, at least you've outed yourself fenboy..step up and join the ranks of the "tackle tarts"!

Now..where's my fags? :D

All the best.

The thing that worries me about this forum is that you can say something tongue-in-cheek and get taken so seriously.

Always a risk with forums. But it really helps if you make use of the various smilies available. Also known as 'emoticons' which I think is a better description or Graemlins which makes very little sense to me.

While use of a graemlin cannot take the sting out of a truly nasty remark :confused:

they can go a long ways toward making sure folks know when you are making a joking remark. :D:D

When you get to the place to make a reply, you have a group over the text box that will apply to the reply as a whole and others to the lower left that are positional.

We could probably do with some more specialized ones though. For instance, this one with the spinning stainless ring is perfect for a tackle tart.

Posted Image

Or the perfect reply to non-anglers who bother you about your fishing.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The daft thing about buying a new rod is when you get home and discover its no better than the one you pensioned off years ago!

Re being taken too seriously, always a problem, especially with carpies!! Take the juice out of a carpie and guess what, someone is guaranteed to come back and accuse you of buggering the Mother Superior! :):):):):):):):)

All those smilies should ensure complete safety from the most aggrieved carpie!!

despite having purchased 4 spinning rods over the last couple of years, i use the one i bought first 9 times out of 10. anyone want to buy a spinning rod?

I use a 2.25 TC abu composite, a 3lb TC shakespeare pursuit (I think) a 2.5 tc Shimano power loop carp. Use a 3.5 TC Colt II carp for drifting. Reels shakespeare somthing or other, Abu cardinal (popular plus model lol) Ryobi 7000GT for drifting and Diawa px1650. A right bunch of mongrols, which also have summer jobs as marker rods and spodding reels, and beachcasting etc. They work though and pike don't seem to mind, I don't think the carp would mind if my rods and reels didn't all match, but I have not got the confidence to risk it.

Cheers fellas. I have been looking at Dave Lumb's site. They look the business.

Don't worry Fenboy, I'm a big boy and I'm not offended. I have got a sense of humour in there somewhere (ain't that right Newt? ). Rubbed a few people up the wrong way myself on the 'net with some comments that to me had me in stitches, but other people read it differently.

The rods I've got do the job, but I am a tackle tart and I want my name written on them in Tippex as well!! But they still won't stop me from being a crap angler though. :D

Guest sslatter

Yes..leaving those emoticons out can be a problem. One of my first posts here was in a "Strange baits"-type thread.

So I posted something like:

"Well, I don't know about odd baits, but one of my strangest experiences was one night under Worthing Pier, but all I caught was crabs.."

A deafening silence followed, and my post was studiously ignored. Maybe I should have put a "winker" smilie in. :rolleyes:

..and on the subject of old favourite rods versus new ones, I have still to find a float rod that has as good an action as my 25 year old 13' carbon.

Can't stand those fast-actioned rods.

Originally posted by Graham X:

[qb] "Well, I don't know about odd baits, but one of my strangest experiences was one night under Worthing Pier, but all I caught was crabs.."

A deafening silence followed, and my post was studiously ignored. Maybe I should have put a "winker" smilie in. :rolleyes:

Oh I get it now

[ 10. January 2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]