Which yak for novice for estuary and in shore?

merlin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merlin if you are sure you are only going to venture in estuaries take Richis advice and have a serious look at the Caper. Its ideal for short calmish conditions and you really cant fall out of the thing.

Well I can but thats another story :lol:

Only cautionary note is that there is tendency to grow out of your original requirement quickly as you confidence increases. If you think that the bug may bite then look at one of the other models (growing room) but if you think that calmish conditions with short paddles are for you the Caper will take some beating.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Also try to find out if there are strong currents in the estuary/ies where you plan to fish. Some fairly innocent looking places can have strong currents on some tides - thats where a faster/more efficient yak will help as you may be able to make some kind of progress against it if you misjudge the state of the tide.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Good point SpeciMan,

I leave near the river Humber in East Yorks but I cannot see myself venturing out on it for that same reason.

I am no expert on tides and the speed of it but driving into Hull on the A63 (runs parallel) the other day I noticed one of the larger bouy's (marking a ditched Zeppalin I think) with a wake around it pointing up stream!!!!!!!!. :unsure:

Now thats what I call an incoming tide!. :blink:

Nemo.

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

Merlin.

Another kayak to consider would be the Scrambler, or the Scrambler XT.

The is a real thorough bred, a tried and tested kayak that is comfortable, strong, easy to paddle.

I have paddled a Caper and have owned two XTs, the XT is a far better kayak to handle,and an absolute dream to rig

Take a look here.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/kayak01.htm

The only thing I would say about the XT, is buy one with factory fitted front hatch, and depeding on the wieght you intend to carry ( including you ) forget the centre hatch.

You may have no need for a hatch, its not nesscessary to have one.

Your choice of paddle and other eqpt, is as important as the choice of kayak.

Go have a good read of that link.

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi

I have owned an OK Caper now for a year and would recommend one to anyone. Whilst they might lack a little in speed, but this is really down to paddler strength, technique and stamina, it more than makes up for this in other ways. They are relatively easy to man-handle, are very stable, very manouvreable and simple to fit-out. Also, due to their shorter length they are much easier to store at home.

I have used mine for estuary fishing and paddle out regularly about a mile or more to a rock mark. I have also been out in winds up to 3-4 with no problems. Any stronger wind than this you probably shouldn't be out anyway!

If you do 'grow' out of the Caper, there is a very bouyant (no pun intended) market for second hand Yaks.

With the current weather I would say take your time before you buy and if you can try before you buy even better.

Hi Wirrel,

Welcome to the Mad house.

Nice to see your interested, do you fish fresh or salt, or both ?

Take a look a the link for some great reading.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...tion/Index.html

Enjoy.

Hi Yak,

i own a tackle shop so i do all types of fishing, my main interest would be to enable be to fish withn the bay across the road for the Bass, as well as fish a few other areas that are either a really long walk out, but could be accessed faster in a yak, one question is cn these be purchased with everything done ? and where is the best place to purchase ?