Which yak for novice for estuary and in shore?

merlin

I have never canoed before. Bassing in fair summer weather really appeals.But I need to buy a kayak. What is best? I do not want to fall in so stability, ease of paddling, prefitted with all the basics .... and green.

It seems to be between the Perception Freedom Angler or Prowler 13? What are their pros and cons? Or a Caper? Or are there others that are even better?

All these questions! Answers please.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never canoed before. Bassing in fair summer weather really appeals.But I need to buy a kayak. What is best? I do not want to fall in so stability, ease of paddling, prefitted with all the basics .... and green.

It seems to be between the Perception Freedom Angler or Prowler 13? What are their pros and cons? Or a Caper? Or are there others that are even better?

All these questions! Answers please.

Merlin,

I was in EXACTLY the same boat a few weeks back. I posted on here for advice, tried a few on stillwaters, posted some more and read a lot.

My P13 is ready for collection and I get her tomorrow after I've been to Starvin's gaff to check what he has rigged his with and what sort of clothing and fishing gear I need :)

I guess you have to go the same route.

Buy in haste - regret at liesure..

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Hi Merlin,

Decisions, decisions. :D

Prowler 13 is well proven, few teething problems with build last year, but thankfully that is all put to rest with the 2006 models. The freedom is a little more of an unknown, but having said that it looks superb and I've seen the build quality on other models from the range and it is excellent.

Your build will also have some bearing, if your built for speed then the Scupper Pro TW Angler may be worth looking at and is beginning to get quite a following.

If your a family man then maybe think about a tandem, you'll have the option of paddling solo or taking a mate, if you intend to fish offshore then you would be wise to stick with the solo kayaks.

Why Green, most of the Bass men on this and other forums are going for the brighter colours for safety, the colour will have no bearing on the number of fish you catch, my last sizeable bass (over 4lb) was caught in less than 18 inches of water directly below my Sunset Prowler 13.

Where abouts are you based Merlin as somebody here is bound to live near you and being such a friendly bunch you may be able to secure a paddle. I'm in hampshire and fish the Solent if your near.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Merlin,

I was in the same boat....er kayak as you a week back. My choices as a novice came from a lot of searching on 'tinternet and forums such as this one and I have to thank everyone for their valuable input.

I was after either a scupper or prowler and also in a stealthy green colour until some one mentioned the freedom angler, so off to the boat show at the NEC I went last Sunday and after spending about an hour sitting in the prowler and freedom I opted for the Freedom (in sunburst red/yellow).

The main decision for me was from a comfort and feel point of view, the freedom has adjustable foot pegs and just felt right the hull has channels running the length of it and according to yakker's in Oz and NZ this gives excellent tracking even in surf. Its also the widest of the three choices and as a beginner I am personally more bothered about stability than speed.

The dealer (Desparate Measures from Nottingham) threw in a paddle and Palm PFD as part of the deal for £525.00. The reason for the colour choice change came as a result of comments like Starvin's and definately worth taking heed of I think.

Cheers,

Nemo :)

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

Hi Merlin,

I went for the Prowler 15 just because the price was right and just like the 13 its been proven. I dont think you really need to worry about the colour I have a green prowler and even though the point about being seen is a good one it is easy to sort out, I will be sticking a couple of floresent strips around the bow and stern.

ChrisW

Hi Merlin

Welcome to the forum.

For me the issue of colour choice hit home when I started fishing in and around shipping channels and areas of high boat traffic :D :D

It can be quite unnerving being anchored up or drifting around such places when power boats, yachts and ships look like they're heading in your direction. Anything which can be done to make sure you're seen (bright colours, flags, horns, waving paddle, jumping off yak at last minute :D etc) is crucial to survival when fishing such places.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Spanner, problem with that, is that our anchor lines aren't long enough for Scottish waters, so will have to stick with the traffic. :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I am a net virgin. I can hardly believe that people are being so helpful. Keep the advice rolling in. Small kayak for shortish trips mainly in estuary. I am taking all your points on board and am in no rush.

Merlin

what you've just decribed adds up to the Ocean Caper

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph