Maggot Laws

Right lads (and lasses)

As I said earlier in the week we are opening our first 'retail' tackle shop in Louth, Lincs from March 14th (eta if all goes to plan). Thus far (most) things are going to plan - got a few bits to sort out on Monday with insurance, but thats the last of the hurdles I think.

I have a supplier for maggots, who Gaz (brother) has arranged prices for etc, but was wondering if anyone knew the proper facts regarding their retail.

For example, I always thought shops HAD to vend into a proper bait container, but I know of several that vend in airtight bags. Are there any more issues like that anyone has heard of?

(I am sure our supplier will give us a rough guide like, but I don't want to sound overly dumb when I nip out to meet them on Wednesday!).

Ian W

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weve had this one before. The tackle shops round here will serve you with maggots in plastic bags , but the tackle shop in welshpool will only serve you maggots in a sealed conntainer, eg baitbox, which he convenantly sells. but as for the law i couldnt say.

my mate got round it though, he went to the sweet shop in the town and and got a empty sweet container,for free, and had half pint and some strange looks

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Well, what we've been toying with is disposable plastic containers (a la chiness style) which hold 650ml or thereabouts (just over a pint). We've seen some with pretty secure lids, which if we add a wrap of tape or a laccy band I am sure will do the job (we'll have the lids pierced).

Obviously it will add 12p or thereabouts to our costs (as opposed to bags which will top out at a penny max) - I suppose we can pass it on to the customer though (we sell bait tubs, so they could always buy one instead or remember to bring it!).

Our maggot prices are going out at £2/pt - so charging for a container is perhaps fair enough (it's fairly cheap for this area).

Ian W

Guest Ferret1959
Well, what we've been toying with is disposable plastic containers (a la chiness style) which hold 650ml or thereabouts (just over a pint). We've seen some with pretty secure lids, which if we add a wrap of tape or a laccy band I am sure will do the job (we'll have the lids pierced).

Obviously it will add 12p or thereabouts to our costs (as opposed to bags which will top out at a penny max) - I suppose we can pass it on to the customer though (we sell bait tubs, so they could always buy one instead or remember to bring it!).

Our maggot prices are going out at £2/pt - so charging for a container is perhaps fair enough (it's fairly cheap for this area).

Maggits down here are £2.20 a pint and that's in a plastic bag. :(

Can you do mail order? :D :D :D

I'm fairly sure that maggots have to be sold in a purpose made bait container. It's certainly the only way you can buy them round here.

Check with your local trading standards if in doubt.

I don't understand the need for a tackle shop to sell maggots in bags or other unsuitable containers. If you want maggots, take a bait box to the shop with you, if you forget, then buy another one.

No laws to say what maggots are sold in ,one shop by me has sold them in brown paper bags wrapped in news paper for years and Ive never had any escape.Ive used the same business for 55 + years always been sold in paper bag.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

Why not ask the local council H&E person, then that way you are assured you are not breaking any law :D

Maggots are sold in plastic bags up here, £2.20 a pint

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

i always used to buy them in a paper bag, when i moved house last year, and went to the new tackle shop, i asked for them in a paper bag and the guy was amazed, in fact he laughed, he only uses plastic bags :)

can't see what difference it makes really.

oh and ayjay, if i bought a new maggot tub everytime i forgot to take one to the shop, i'd have to rent a lock up to keep them in.

Up here int'north, some of us still use maggot bags,ie cloth bags with a strap to hang round your neck, to make the maggots handy while fishing. Only had one or two 'accidents' that was when I was younger and didn't know how to tie them. I always keep a couple of these in a bag in the boot. I have seen plastic bags used, but don't like the idea, especially in hot weather, when it can cause them to 'sweat' in a very short time.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John