I think I might Emigrate!

Leon Roskilly

Hello Leon

I did attend one meeting where they were pushing the ITQ (individul transferable quotas) for the under ten sector, some thing to do with the net benifit report, the chap doing all the waffling thought they were a marvellous idea and could not understand why we were not keen to invest and have a propper stake in our industry. I pointed out to the idiot that it would cost somthing like £150,000 to aquire enough quota to be legal and they could take it away from you in quota cuts. I also pointed out that they only wanted to do this because the had run out of over ten meter boats to manage and it was designed to be as complicated as possible to provide him and some of his collegues in the need to manage department plenty of work and added that DEFRA was nothing but a huge burden on the British tax payer.

They have not asked me to any other meetings.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pointed out to the idiot that it would cost somthing like £150,000 to aquire enough quota to be legal

I'm sorry Peter, but I have to laugh when I read things like that. I know it's not funny, but please try to see it from an outsiders point of view. Just for giggles, read this and see what it sounds like.

It's not fair. All I'm asking for is a house to live in, a car to drive and enough money to pay my bills. Maybe a holiday once in a while. Yet every time I go out to rob a bank, I get arrested! Bloody interfering coppers. What do they know about robbing banks? It's not as if there isn't plenty of money out there. The bloody banks are full of the stuff. There are also plenty of houses. Those that say there aren't don't know what they are talking about. If I wanted to, I could go out and buy as many houses as I liked. Trouble is, it would cost me too much money. Hence the reason for robbing banks, it's a vicious circle.

Years ago, bank robbers were seen as heroes. Lovable rogues who people went to for cheap goods at knock down prices. Now we're seen as common criminals. It's just not fair. The trouble is, too many people make their living out of managing us. Coppers, solicitors, lawyers, etc, etc. The need to manage brigade. If they kept their noses out of our business and left us to get on with it, things would be a whole lot better.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest @Winter@
Hello Leon

I did attend one meeting where they were pushing the ITQ (individul transferable quotas) for the under ten sector, some thing to do with the net benifit report, the chap doing all the waffling thought they were a marvellous idea and could not understand why we were not keen to invest and have a propper stake in our industry. I pointed out to the idiot that it would cost somthing like £150,000 to aquire enough quota to be legal and they could take it away from you in quota cuts. I also pointed out that they only wanted to do this because the had run out of over ten meter boats to manage and it was designed to be as complicated as possible to provide him and some of his collegues in the need to manage department plenty of work and added that DEFRA was nothing but a huge burden on the British tax payer.

They have not asked me to any other meetings.

Got to Laugh Peter.

I bet they Bloody love you at DEFRA HQ.

It might be funny if it was not so serious.

At a meeting with all the representatives of all the different associations in the week we worked out that for the whole of the south east of England from Folkstone Kent to Wells in Norfolk there are about 135 boats,I reckon about 45 of those are shell fish boats, just 5 or 6 are over ten meters none of those are more than 12 meters.

At a rough guess that amounts to 1 small boat per 100 square

miles if you take up to 20 miles from the coast as a working area.

The sole quota they now want us to work to for this year equals about 1 1/4 ton each , around £6000 worth,nearly one days work for a Belguim beamer working along the 6 mile line.

How the hell can you compare us to bank robbers.

How the hell can you compare us to bank robbers.

No, hands up. That was a bit unfair and wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

It was just that bit about needing to spend £150,000 to stay legal. It didn't sound right.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Steve

I was not realy referring to only your post, it's been metioned on other occations.

If we went down the ITQ road , it's not only sole you have to buy but all other speices you catch as well, from dabs to roker.

G'day mate, if you want to emigrate, go to Queensland. The Vics and New South Welshmen are coming to Qld at the rate of 1000/week. Vic has just about shut out all sea fishing with marine parks (labour gov.)

NSW is doing a similar thing and buying back the trawler licences....then selling them to other commercial fishos. We have that fabulous stretch of Great Barrier Reef, the weather is always perfect (shut up, chevin ;) )

Fishing in dams costs about 14 quid a year to fish in any of 29 dams, no licence for fishing in rivers, or sea.

028446.jpg

The southern end of the Whitsunday Islands.

Vrfish has a very poor reputation for the fishos and the SA democrats are really a toothless tiger; indeed, there was a questionnaire put out by a fishing mag where each political party was asked the same questions, and the democrats and greens were the least interested in fishing.

http://www.yaffa.com.au/fw

post-8845-1142111345_thumb.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Aged 19, I jumped ship in Melbourne lived and fished there, then Sydney and Woollongong, before ending up in Cairns for a couple of years :)

I came back to the UK in 1968 :(

However I do swap a lot of information with Trevor Watts of SARFAC, and through him other angling organisations in Australia, and I must say I.m very impressed with a lot of what is happening back there.

http://www.vrfish.com.au/

http://www.sarfac.com/

ps Pity the fish in Sydney Harbour are too toxic to be eaten now. I used to go out with a girl who's garden backed onto the harbour and was able to fish from the jetty at the bottom of the garden for flatheads, which her Italian mother used to cook!

Australia bans fishing in Sydney Harbor

Sydney | January 24, 2006 12:01:13 AM IST

Commercial fishing has been banned in Sydney Harbor because of high dioxin levels and recreational anglers have been warned not to eat their catch.

The tests on bream and other fish in the harbor detected the dangerous levels of dioxins, which can cause cancer and birth defects, the Sydney Daily Telegraph reported. The toxins were believed to have come from a Union Carbide site at nearby Homebush Bay, where Agent Orange was once produced.

The ban is the first of its kind in Sydney's history, the Daily Telegraph said.

Officials said swimming will still be allowed since the poisons are not carried in dangerous quantities in water, but they become concentrated in fish, making consumption potentially deadly.

:(

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Aged 19, I jumped ship in Melbourne lived and fished there, then Sydney and Woollongong, before ending up in Cairns for a couple of years :)

I came back to the UK in 1968 :(

However I do swap a lot of information with Trevor Watts of SARFAC, and through him other angling organisations in Australia, and I must say I.m very impressed with a lot of what is happening back there.

http://www.vrfish.com.au/

http://www.sarfac.com/

ps Pity the fish in Sydney Harbour are too toxic to be eaten now. I used to go out with a girl who's garden backed onto the harbour and was able to fish from the jetty at the bottom of the garden for flatheads, which her Italian mother used to cook!

Australia bans fishing in Sydney Harbor

Sydney | January 24, 2006 12:01:13 AM IST

:(

:clap2: That's it. Pollute our waters with dioxins, contaminate all the fish so nobody can eat them and they'll all be left for the anglers. Now where can I get a few million gallons of dioxins? :clap2:

The question is who ar what are the SA Democrats?

The SA Democrats are the South Australian branch of the Australian Democrats. With having states in Australia we are double dammed by politicians, we have a federal government and state governments, so the politial parties have their national branch and then a state branch.

The Democrats have come close to being in a powerful position in the near 30 years since its inauguration, their catch phrase was, "We'll keep the bastards honest" meaning that they would ensure the ruling party would keep to their promises.

However, that all went sour on them when they backed John Howard in his push to introduce GST, (VAT) and they were offered a bit of power sharing if they were to use their balance of power to enable the GST to go through. The leader of the party (Meg Lees) at the time earned the hate of every business man in Oz as well as a large percentage of the electorate. Nowadays when they use their little catch phrase, many of us add the words, "until the bung is big enough".

Thanks to Meg Lees and subsequent leaders of the party, none of the Democrats have any credibility these days, and so there is little, if any, chance of the Democrats winning power either federally or in any of the states. It is possible that they could hold the balance of power in some situations but it is doubtful that any Democratic party would ever be able to introduce such a utopian bill as the one suggested.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.