'V' Festival

Guest Finepix

Gozzer, thats a bit much mate :P

You ever hear the Cohen appreciation album `I`m Your Fan` ????

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds did Tower of Song and it was such a weird rendition that some other guy had to do a more `Cohenesque` version so non Cohen people would have an idea of what the track was supposed to sound like!!!!!!

Mind you, John Cales Hallejuah was brilliant.

By far the best track on the album and (for me) one of REMs greatest tracks for atmosphere had to be `Manhattan`. Awesome for a cover.

No not heard that mate, I've just got a couple of old tapes that I put on in the car now and again, they're not allowed in the house, been out voted by wife and kids. I call them my mood tapes, they call them suicide tapes. :D

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Finepix
Wow, thats the all encompasssing narrow minded comment of the weekend :clap2::D :D:D

I love the Smiths and have done since they first started. Morrissey is a genius writer. On the flip side you`ve got Radiohead who, to my ears anyway, are the modern art of music.

Too many music critics fear insult if they tell the truth about the band. Its like the Emperors New Clothes of the music industry.

Lets face it, Radiohead make Coldplay seem exciting. Can you dance to it? Nope. Can listening to it put you in a good mood? Nope. The only uplifting thing is that Thom Yorke must be way more depressed than anyone else on this planet so theres always someone worse off than you.......................

And in his words.................

Headlining `V`. No ta.

My comment was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley overload at the end, inlcuding an 'oops' (!).

As for radiohead (can't comment on Coldplay as I think they're cr*p), I can dance to them quite easily - and have done - and everytime I *see Thom Yorke on stage 'entertaining' his audience jumping and dancing around the stage like any manic dance fan then I am certainly uplifted. You just need to put on the live version of Idiotech, it blows my mind everytime and always has me jumping around the living room.

(*I've only seen live footage on tv etc...).

Oh and Dan, I'm 34. My dob is on my profile. And we're going to Chelmsford, Essex. Yes this festival is quite commercial compared to the others but it doesn't really bother me. Went to Reading a few years ago, then Guildford last year. Not huge festivals but I really enjoyed the vibe. I love just wandering around on my own and people watching, etc... Would love to go to Glastonbury, and we're really hoping to next year, just depends on getting tickets :)

Anyway. If we all liked the same thing life would be rather boring. I would never push my music tastes down anyones throat, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do the same to me. Stuff said on forums is just a bit of banter, nothing more. Try not to take it too seriously ...

And yes it probably sounds like a contradiction, but I was just excited about getting the tickets.

:)

My comment was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley overload at the end, inlcuding an 'oops' (!).

As for radiohead (can't comment on Coldplay as I think they're cr*p), I can dance to them quite easily - and have done - and everytime I *see Thom Yorke on stage 'entertaining' his audience jumping and dancing around the stage like any manic dance fan then I am certainly uplifted. You just need to put on the live version of Idiotech, it blows my mind everytime and always has me jumping around the living room.

(*I've only seen live footage on tv etc...).

I love just wandering around on my own and people watching, etc... Would love to go to Glastonbury, and we're really hoping to next year, just depends on getting tickets :)

I hope to work at Glastonbury again next year, in my view its the festival by which all other are judged! (that is on atmosphere/vib etc) but the music isnt to everyones taste. I would say to anyone, see Coldplay live before you slag them off as slow and depressing, they do a great live set and rock it up. If you have seen them live and you still find them dull then fair enough! Radiohead and REM have done great sets. To my mind one of the best things about the festivals is that you can caught out by some bands you'd never normally go and see, but they catch the moment. Nelly furtado, Faithless, Sissor Sisters, 10cc, Rolfe Harris! Brian Wilson, Starsailor, to name but a few and some of the greats were not so great, I left Mc Cartney to go and see the Basement Jaxx! As for people watching, thats the best!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Guest Finepix
I hope to work at Glastonbury again next year, in my view its the festival by which all other are judged! (that is on atmosphere/vib etc) but the music isnt to everyones taste. I would say to anyone, see Coldplay live before you slag them off as slow and depressing, they do a great live set and rock it up. If you have seen them live and you still find them dull then fair enough! Radiohead and REM have done great sets. To my mind one of the best things about the festivals is that you can caught out by some bands you'd never normally go and see, but they catch the moment. Nelly furtado, Faithless, Sissor Sisters, 10cc, Rolfe Harris! Brian Wilson, Starsailor, to name but a few and some of the greats were not so great, I left Mc Cartney to go and see the Basement Jaxx! As for people watching, thats the best!

Dan

I'm not slagging Coldplay off, I just don't get it. I've heard all of their albums countless times as my husband really likes them, and I've bought him all of their tab' books (as he plays guitar). The second album is ok, and I (personally) prefer it to the others, but thats just my opinion. I've seen live sets on the TV many times, and yes CM does have lots of energy etc... but I just don't think they deserve all the hype. I have tried with open ears to like them and have been told on many occassions that I'm wrong (!), but I cannot change the way I listen to music. :)

Dan, I saw Coldplay when they supported Muse up at the Wolves Civic in 2000. Yes, they were boring even then............

Why `rock it up` when you`re live? 90% of bands make their name in a recording studio. If they come over as boring then folks aren`t going to be bothered to go see them. I really do think that Coldplay are overhyped and once again the media makes a band big rather than the music they make. The majority of people don`t go looking for good new music, they just wait to be told what the latest band is and just go with the flow. Believe me, if Coldplay didn`t get one lucky break at the right time with the right promoter then they would still be backing up Muse today (and should be IMO)

Finepix, totally agree with your sentiments but just feel that just because someone doesn`t appreciate art student music doesn`t mean that they`re geriatric. They may just have taste....... :headhurt:

Oh........

and mine..................... :P

wolf.gif

Guest Finepix
Dan, I saw Coldplay when they supported Muse up at the Wolves Civic in 2000. Yes, they were boring even then............

Why `rock it up` when you`re live? 90% of bands make their name in a recording studio. If they come over as boring then folks aren`t going to be bothered to go see them. I really do think that Coldplay are overhyped and once again the media makes a band big rather than the music they make. The majority of people don`t go looking for good new music, they just wait to be told what the latest band is and just go with the flow. Believe me, if Coldplay didn`t get one lucky break at the right time with the right promoter then they would still be backing up Muse today (and should be IMO)

Finepix, totally agree with your sentiments but just feel that just because someone doesn`t appreciate art student music doesn`t mean that they`re geriatric. They may just have taste....... :headhurt:

Oh........

and mine..................... :P

You just can't help yourself can you :o:D

To be honest anyone who has a passion for any kind of music is cool with me, even McFly (!), at least there is a passion there.

I really find it hard 'bonding' with people who don't do music, who put nursery rhyme tapes on in the car for the kids etc... I just can't do it. :blink:

Guest Finepix
My mates 3 year old daughter insists on the Prodg in the car! Shes got taste.

If we all walked in the same direction no-one would ever bump into each other.

Indeed :)

I agree that Copldplay are over hyped but I bought their CD's cos I like them. the hype is irelevant to me and they are good live (imho!) oh and he's an Exeter boy! Muse? there's another great band and they rock it up live too! their set the year before last at Glasto was awesome! oh and Matt is from Teignmouth!

I like what I like, Hippy stuff like Gong at one end to Funeral/System/Sabbath at the other and Van the Man in the middle and whole lot of other stuff (yep even Dido!)

Dan

You just can't help yourself can you :o:D

To be honest anyone who has a passion for any kind of music is cool with me, even McFly (!), at least there is a passion there.

I really find it hard 'bonding' with people who don't do music, who put nursery rhyme tapes on in the car for the kids etc... I just can't do it. :blink:

Yep with you on that one, thats why I'm going to the Larmer Tree, I just love live music!