Overfishing of Cod predates trawlers

Jaffa

Guest jay_con

The question is wurzel, Do the people you know need to survive? They alraedy made thier money. The people who need to survive are the smaller business like the potters, the liners, the charters, They are the guys who never got rich and are dependent on the fishery to continue making a living. They are gonna loose thier livlihood so that people who dont need anymore money can continue to make money.

Another concern wurzel is the diversification you talk about. I talk about no person or persons in particuler but as a whole these guys arent gonna buy a few pots and try to make an honest income. They are gonna fill trawlers with huge fleets of pots trying to make ever more profit at the expense of others. The end result will be a shortage of shellfish. I give it 3 years and there will be reports of no shellfish off the east coast.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Davison South Wales:

Does that map mean the rest of the coastline is open for rape and pillage?

The map comes from the Green Peace proposals

See:

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/oceans/marine...erves/index.cfm

And WWF:

http://www.wwf.org.uk/marineact/reports.asp

See also the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution proposals: http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=202

SACN are currently on the DEFRA stakeholder workgroup looking at MPAs and I had a meeting with English Nature last week talking about establishing MPAs down in the South West.

There's quite a lot of people working on this now and things are going to start happening soon.

What that will mean for the areas left outside of protected areas I have grave concerns about.

In a common sense world, if you close off 30% - 40% of available fishing space, you would also reduce fishing capability by the same amount to prevent the existing effort being displaced.

But can anyone believe that the Netting... er Fishing Industry and it's supporters will agree to both a 30% - 40% reduction in the areas they are allowed to fish and a further 30 - 40% reduction in fish catching capacity?

Of course there will not be a relaxation in the rules for fishing in the unprotected areas, but with all the extra activity, enforcement is going to be a problem.

And when people are finding it hard to obtain fish to exploit, where they are allowed to exploit them it's going to become interesting.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Big Cod,

No my name is not Paul, its Peter, I do know of the Cockney Paul you are thinking of,speak to John Brennon or Derick Purvs.

Jaffa

I'm off to the pub I'll give opinion on closed areas later.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Yes I got to know Derick well, we kept in touch until a couple of years ago, he had been working down this way of and on and we met up several times for a drink, he must have moved or some thing for I could not contact him on the phone number I have,If you see him tell him to ring me please.

Guest jay_con

What is your surname Paul ? I know derek and see him quite reguler, Mostly in summer when I go Trout fishing, He's been working on the sea deffence at scarborough of late.

You mentioned above you go to meetings with fishermen from our town? You mind if I ask what your role is there? What Job do you do now? What is on the agenda at such meetings?

Hope thats not too many questions at once.

derek i know mr purves very well and see him quite regular i will give him your regards,as the other chap mr norton i worked his boat for a couple of years going back a long time ago but enough said om that subject.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello Big Cod

I know what you mean about Mr Norton, He is still alive (amazed) and working from Lowestoft

@Winter@

The 3rd degree or what,

If you get hold of the week before lasts (Feb 25) issue of the fishing news page 6" Fishermen Should Go To RAC Meetings" It will answer all your questions, and save me a lot of typeing of which I am very slow at.