Overfishing of Cod predates trawlers

Jaffa

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and heres me not beleiving in global warming when leons gardens in full bloom and mines just dug over.

just been down school to pick kids up a 300yard walk if that,lovely day ,my neighbour takes his car down every day,fights for a parking place,lazy fat git no wonder theres so much pollution when you multiply that millions of times.

Guest jay_con

Same is true here max. School is 500 yards away. No more than half a mile for the majority yet there is hundreds of cars outside the school at each end of the day. Sad thing is you always get home before your neighbours too.

I would tend to believe commercial if their record was not so poor, to paraphrase "the proclaimers" Herring nomore, sandeels nomore, cod nomore?? they have all been decimated (you could add mackeral and a few other fish in some areas) by boats whose owners want the biggest return for the least effort in the quickest time. You cant keep taking out without putting back! the numbers dont add up sorry guys even you cant eat your cake and still have the same left.

No matter what area of life you think of you will always find bad apples.

I think the question here is more about lack of guidance and enforcement from the authorities as much as anything else.

The other thing is these so called experts. I was listening to a tele debate on world wide car manufacturing about 15yrs ago. Three so called market experts could see no reason why the market would contract world wide because the third world market was expanding. A forth younger chap was trying to tell these idiots politely that 90% of that population struggled to buy a bowl of rice and a donkey was like owning a rolls. He was right despite all of the economic clap trap these other fools were using it was written on the walls in ten foot letters.

The same applies to fish stock if you keep sucking up vast quantities of breeding size fish no matter how large the original stock was it will shrink and shrink until you have nothing left. It does not matter what clever figures you attach to it the bottom line is you can only reap what is sown.

This is not a put down to intellectuals and the information now being put together, but all to often while this work is being done the damage has moved on a lot faster and fundamental ground rules of common sense are overlooked.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

How the EU intends to deal with some of these issues:

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=264

(So who is going to be pressing the case on your behalf?)

TL - leon

[ 04. March 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

In my case Leon, it depends what case you intend to press. Is our inshore fleet to be lumped in with whats going on in the southbendtribute link you put up for instance ??!!

Is SACN going to manage to refer to commercial fishermen without the constant digs, even when they don't deserve it? Are all commercials to be called "Netters", even when most are not, just because it hits an emotional spot with many anglers?

Is there going to be a rational argument that recognises that fishermen are not responsible for what has happened to the sandeels, that despite past failures (and Jim do you mean the 1870's collapse of the herring fishery or the 1970's one ? ) the pelagic fisheries are now well run.

Is fish farming to be criticised only where it deserves it or across the board with any arguement that comes to hand, regardless of how irrational it might be?

Your efforts at living an environmentally friendly lifestyle are to be praised Leon, but don't forget that garden and your bike would last about 30 seconds in a full on gale in the north. Whats possible, where you are able to make sacrifices, changes depending on where you live.

If its just hysteria and hype, druming up support with greenpeace style "science" , then I'll take my chances with the commercial negotiators and Scottish politicians. More chance of getting something that works...

[ 04. March 2005, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Jaffa ]

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

"The first task of this group will be to produce a Green Paper in the first half of 2006 and to launch a wide public debate."

This is what I was spouting on about, 18mths to produce yet another piece of paper another year to procastinate and then maybe it will be well and truely down the drain.

Society is bog down with paper work and meetings.

When I went to work for ABV Rock Group we had a lab that was second to none, a state of the art batching plant and a fleet of mixers ARC would have given their right arm for. The system produced warehouse mountains of quality records, BUT it did not stop some of the shotcrete samples delaminating between first and second layer. The office I took over was full of NCRs and worksheets relating to this problem. I went down to the cavern they were working on before the shift started and sat to watch the proccess from start to finish. The lads turned up and I saw a drum of fluid being emptied into the hopper on the back of the shotcrete pump. I walked over and asked them what they had put in and for what reason. They were using shuttering oil and water to prime the pump and lubricate the hoses instead of a sand and cement grout.

Problem solved, no magic, no super brain just good old fashion observation, for 18mths this problem had rattled on going from bad to worst. Fixed in ten minutes apart from all of the coughing and spluttering as people tried to justify their positions.

It may be a lot simpler than fish stocks, but let's face it we know the bottom line "lack of fish" do we need to know any more before we take some action or do we bury ourselves in another mountain of paper?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist