Cows.

Steve Coppolo

QUOTE (TIGGER)

"I was born on and brought up on a farm and know how to treat cattle as i used to go and bring my grandads herd of milkers in on my own at 5yrs old twice a day somtimes"

Brought back memories. I went to live on my Uncle John's farm at the age of nine - I had been brought up in the country but had had no close contact with farm animals.

Here is an excerpt from my memoirs

"I still remember my first morning on the farm. The previous day I had been brought over by car, and had arrived in time to witness the tail end of the afternoon milking and watched the cows amble down the lane back to their field. The next morning, having been awakened at five o'clock, I walked down to the dairy with John. I was a bit nonplussed when John said casually, "Go and get the cows up while I get the pumps started". Now although I had often walked through fields with cows in, I had never had any experience of trying to control them, but John was off into the dairy before I could admit it.

As I walked down the lane towards the cow’s field, I recalled seeing farm workers herding cattle along country roads in Sussex. Usually this activity seemed to involve several dogs together with a lot of men with sticks running about and shouting. The more I thought about it, the more difficult the task seemed for one boy on his own. Suppose the cows just ignored me or scattered at my approach like sheep? Did I have to round them up like a collie dog? More importantly, what was I to say to John if I botched the job?

Reaching the field gate, I looked in. Cows were scattered around the field, almost all of them lying down. Opening the field gate, I shouted "WHOIY-UP!" in a voice that sounded much more confident than my innermost feelings. I had imagined all sorts of scenarios, but not what actually happened. Every cow rose to its feet and filed meekly through the gate. They didn't even look at me, just marched up the lane and straight into the milking parlour, where each buried its head into its manger, began munching the hay therein, and submitted to having a chain put around its neck. Much relieved, I swaggered along behind as if I'd been herding cows all my life."

Bullocks can be a pain on the riverbank - waving your arms and shouting is usually effective, but even an accidental biff from a frisky one can be serious. Cows with calves can be worse than bulls - avoid them.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

During the winter months we are surrounded by sheep but during the summer months were surrounded by Bulls.

Don't you mean bullocks (castrated male cows). It would be pretty unusual to have a herd of bulls!

Regarding the original question, even if the herd are running towards you, they will stop when they reach you and are unlikely to cause you any harm. Speak to them gently can be useful.

Don't you mean bullocks (castrated male cows). It would be pretty unusual to have a herd of bulls!

Regarding the original question, even if the herd are running towards you, they will stop when they reach you and are unlikely to cause you any harm. Speak to them gently can be useful.

That's the answer I like the best :thumbs: I'll try to remember it next time I'm in a field full of cattle. :unsure:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

post-7674-1141465772_thumb.jpgThese Cherolais cattle were very inquisitive.

Some good advice there. Attack is the best form of defence :) Go towards them shouting and waving your arms. If that fails RRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :P

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Guest Josh Iddon
post-7674-1141465772_thumb.jpgThese Cherolais cattle were very inquisitive.

Bloody hell, I woulnt want one of them climb in my bivvy at night!!

A stretch of the river mole I fish, The field is full of massive, hairy, highland cattle :wacko:

Guest tigger

Most of them have had their goolies chopped off but there are quite a few with them intact.

Through the summer in the field around our house there are usually about 70 bulls.

Also they dont always stop when there running towards you and sometimes they buck and twist their bodies and try kicking out sideways at you as they go past.

I remember my mum flying through the air when a Heffer butted her up the arse.

About three years back a young lad was trampled to death as he walked his dog on the island so they arn't guaranteed to stop.

Tigger.

My uncle told me how when match fishing a cow rolled down a 12ft bank and landed in the water a few feet from him, could have killed him, was too shook up to carry on fishing that day.

clumsy blighters sometimes.