Pike Fish For Britain

Elton

For the PAC to condone matches under their control is to condone all matches. For the PAC, or a committee member, to give credibility to pike matches is, I believe, a retrograde step.

peter,

i dont see that chris was giving credibility to matches and i dont see the PAC as a whole condoning or promoting matches. chris is entitled to his own personal opinions, committee member or not.

i dont see the PAC ever coming out and supporting all pike matches per se, and in my opinion they will gradually die out as the generation that entertains the notion that pike are a good match species does.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin, as you know I was a member for a number of years. Just for a while I need to sit back, quietly in the shade and watch with interest. Lets just see how the next year or so goes.

You don't have the capacity to sit back quietly Peter, it's one thing we do both have in common, we've got plenty to say! :D

The next year or two could have major implications on the whole of angling. Why not just accept that there are opposing views to yours and rejoin the PAC. Whatever else you might think, you must realise that it is the body that most significantly represents your interests as an angler.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

"chris is entitled to his own personal opinions, committee member or not."

I was on the verge of posting something similar Mark. The truth is the PAC could call for a ban on all pike matches, and I still wouldn't agree with it. The point is, I wouldn't be petty enough to resign from the club because of it. I'd just keep my own counsel on that particular 'party line'. Being a part of the commitee doesn't negate me from having a view. At least, unlike Peter, I'll be able to put forward my reasons for disagreeing with such a ban

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

"chris is entitled to his own personal opinions, committee member or not."

I was on the verge of posting something similar Mark. The truth is the PAC could call for a ban on all pike matches, and I still wouldn't agree with it. The point is, I wouldn't be petty enough to resign from the club because of it. I'd just keep my own counsel on that particular 'party line'. Being a part of the commitee doesn't negate me from having a view. At least, unlike Peter, I'll be able to put forward my reasons for disagreeing with such a ban

cant see that happening chris, inmy opinion the PAC is there to represent pike angling not police it.

we all have seen how the barbel soceity have tried that avenue in my opinion unsuccesfully.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Thats a very good point Mark.BUT they have been guilty of it!

Yes, they have, but get over it. That was then, this is now. You really must stop living in the past and blaming the current set-up for the faults of previous ones.

PAC has done stuff I strongly disagreed with in its time (indeed I almost resigned at one point over a particularly fundamentilist stance) but I stayed in and worked to effect change - which I believe eventually came when common sense prevailed.

PAC has learned its lessons and now treads more carefully, taking a balanced viewpoint on contentious issues.

You can rejoin on-line here - http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html :D

Dave

dlstsig.png

You are quite right Dave it isnt the present PAC's fault and I am living in the past and do need to move on.BUT I was that dissalusioned with the PAC "back then" that it has/will take a long time to forgive and forget.

The only positive thing I can add is that I truely want to.I have never met Mark or Chris but through the medium of AN I feel that I have "got to know them" certainly enough for me to want to watch their progress within the PAC with interest and hope. In general I like and respect their views.

The fact that a pike angler I respect like your self has stuck with the PAC and brought about change also keeps me looking in and hopefull.

Im not decided on my rejoining either way just yet,which is a vast improvement on my position over the last few years! Who knows?I will book mark the link!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You are quite right Dave it isnt the present PAC's fault and I am living in the past and do need to move on.BUT I was that dissalusioned with the PAC "back then" that it has/will take a long time to forgive and forget.

The only positive thing I can add is that I truely want to.I have never met Mark or Chris but through the medium of AN I feel that I have "got to know them" certainly enough for me to want to watch their progress within the PAC with interest and hope. In general I like and respect their views.

The fact that a pike angler I respect like your self has stuck with the PAC and brought about change also keeps me looking in and hopefull.

Im not decided on my rejoining either way just yet,which is a vast improvement on my position over the last few years! Who knows?I will book mark the link!

I can understand your point of view Budgie. (although I'm still waiting for that PM to let me know why you originally lost the faith?) I think it's great that you're at least reconsidering your stance. I believe you'd be a real asset to the club. I think it's fair to say that on a number of internet angling sites your sound advice, helpfulness and no nonsense approach to angling is held in much esteem by a good many members. I'm certain it could only be good for future recruitment to the PAC, if you were to be a member and reccomending the club.

I'm hoping there will be several pikers that have felt alienated by the club in the past, for one reason or another, that we can persuade to rejoin and endorse PAC. After all, though it may not have a perfect track record, the club still to my mind represents the only effective political vehicle specifically geared to piking that can exert a positive influence on the future of our sport.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Come on in Budgie, as dell boy said, you know it makes sense. :)

I never pressure people to join/rejoin PAC, Budgie. I'd rather see them rejoin in their own time than be press ganged back.

At the end of the day the PAC is the best voice that pike anglers have, and the more experienced pikers that are members the stronger that voice will be.

I have never met Mark or Chris, but from what I read of their views on t'internet I am sure they will serve the PAC well.

Dave

dlstsig.png