Dolphins

Martin Salisbury

There was a report on Countryfile (BBC1 Sunday morning) a while back about the problems the Scottish longliners were having with killer whales removing halibut from their longlines. They showed the longlines being hauled in with just the halibut lips on the hooks. Whales/dolphins are obviously smart enough to recognise the danger and act accordingly.

I'd say that's predatory, rather than smart. Pike often attack keepnets and fish being reeled in, and they can be as thick as the proverbial. :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that's predatory, rather than smart. Pike often attack keepnets and fish being reeled in, and they can be as thick as the proverbial. :)

The "smart" was that they looked like they had "plucked" the fish from the hooks rather than engulfing them and getting hooked too. But then perhaps that's their normal feeding behaviour.

Don't forget Dolphins have sonar and can tell the difference between a live fish and a hunk of metal lure, as for baited hooks well not sure but they seem to be like humans and enjoy the thrill of the chase to get their food so why bother with a hunk of dead meat.

They do some times get caught, though it is very very rare.

(You WILL lose all your power pro in a flash)

In the Gulf, off Florida they can be pests, taking caught fish before they are boat side.

If a Dolphin turns up in your swim your only option is to move off to another mark.

Respect to the Dolphin :thumbs:

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif

I watch a lot of fishing on TV and my girlfriend occasionally gets subjected to having to watch the programmes. She wants to know why nobody fishes for dolphins and/or why they never seem to get accidentally caught on rod and line. Is there much difference between a marlin and a dolphin.

As far as I am aware dolphins eat fish so I didn't know the answer :wallbash: because I thought they might accidentally at least fall to lures and fishbaits but that doesn't appear to be the case?

I have hooked dolphins(mamals) while fishing. I have also had them many times eat a hooked fish and all I'll get back is the skelaton head with the hook in it, iy is incrediable. The couple times i have hooked them it was a them eating a hooked fish and watch out! They stripped off 600 yards of 20lb line in seconds!

In the summer off the southeast coast of Florida the kingfish and bonita stack up with sharks and dophin looking for free meals.

Edited by GregHaskin

I watch a lot of fishing on TV and my girlfriend occasionally gets subjected to having to watch the programmes. She wants to know why nobody fishes for dolphins and/or why they never seem to get accidentally caught on rod and line. Is there much difference between a marlin and a dolphin.

As far as I am aware dolphins eat fish so I didn't know the answer :wallbash: because I thought they might accidentally at least fall to lures and fishbaits but that doesn't appear to be the case?

Ive fished with Herring as bait for years in the Thames eastuary, But the only time I ever caught a Herring Gull was on Mackral Fancy that :wallbash:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!