River Clyde Pike?

Andy Macfarlane

In Glasgow City Centre, the Clyde runs through. There's a tidal zone and a non-tidal zone. Both are accessible and both have coarse fish like roach, dace, bream and the usual estuary type species. I would imagine there are pike there too but having no experience of river pike, I don't know what they like or don't like. Does anyone know if there are pike in around the centre and if not, what should I be looking for and what would be the best way to test the ground, even just for proof of their existence?

Difficult I know but anything you think I should or could know would be helpful?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible to run a few lures through asome likely areas ?, IMO that would be the easiest way to find out if there are pike present. Othe option is to spend a while wandering about watching etc to see if any pike show themselves attacking bait fish etc.

Edited by Neil G

I guess it's just a case of 'suck it and see' really.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I guess it's just a case of 'suck it and see' really.

NO

chuck it and see :D

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

NO

chuck it and see :D

Brrrrrrrrr......tsh! (sorry that's the best I can do without a drum-kit)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Dont worry about the Poles eating all the pike as the Sweaty Socks have eaten all the Poles! :P

Cant really add much to help you Andy.Ive been faced with similar situations (ie not knowing if any pike are present in a water) and if there is no info avaiable from water authority nettings,local student studies,local angling sources then the only way is to give it a go.

I would target piky looking areas but keep a pretty mobile aproach by leap frogging with multiple rods using both live and dead baits. It may sound daft but it can help if the river is in flood and you target back waters etc as this simply narrows down the places you could expect the pike to be.

Ive not a lot of experience with pike in tidal waters so it might be worth consulting some one who is for info on best times of tide etc and location.

Good luck.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hiya,

I would target piky looking areas but keep a pretty mobile aproach by leap frogging with multiple rods using both live and dead baits. It may sound daft but it can help if the river is in flood and you target back waters etc as this simply narrows down the places you could expect the pike to be.

That's pretty much what we did, started at Dalmarnock Bridge and worked down to the Glasgow Green, it was quite hard going though trying to get in at bits to fish.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"