Snood Length

zziplexboy

Following the principal that you are never too old to learn I have decided try and improve my catch rate as I must admit that this year it has been poor. :angry:

Really thinking about it has resulted in the finger of suspicion pointing to snood length. I must admit to being a bit lazy in this department and sticking to standard lengths for cod fishing (20") for most of my rigs and only really varying the length for pulley rigs (short when rough to avoid tangles)

What I would be interested to hear is your view on snood length for what you fish for (doesnt have to be cod) according to different conditions, seasons and so on.

My old man would often say when your on the sand with the wind in your face you should always use a very long trace :) . When fishing the blast beaches we would be using a trace somewhere between 2 and 3 foot long.

When we fish the kelpy marks, especially around amble I often use a short trace. sometimes only 6 inches long and attached very close to the lead. This method will make sure that your bait goes through the kelp with the lead and is not left hung up on the kelp too far off the bottom to let a fish find it.

Do you mean snoods as in the bit of line from a paturnoster or are you talking about hook legths in general.

I think the term snood may mean different things in different parts of the world.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Do you mean snoods as in the bit of line from a paturnoster or are you talking about hook legths in general.

I think the term snood may mean different things in different parts of the world.

As far I as I understand it a snood is the definition of the line from the rig body to the hook

I use pulley rigs with as little at 4 inch swivel to hook when distance (as far as my definition goes on casting :P ) casting for bream and it seems just as effective as a longer one. Doesn't seem to make much difference round here all in all.

Bass fishing I tend to go for a clear mono 2-3 foot length but then I never cast more than 40-50 yards for Bass and don't tend to use a pulley, very basic running ledger with a longer hooklength seems best.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

There are to many variations to comment on any basic rule.

I find in our area where the water is normaly the coulor of cold tea and a fairly hard tide run, a big juicy smelly bait needs to be pinned down hard on the bottom with a short trace, no more than about 18 inches.

if the water is gin clear and fish are using sight as much as smell then a longer trace say with fish strip as bait moveing around in the tide could be better.

for lure fishing , I mainly use eddystone eels, then as long a trace as I can manage works for me.

I fish to live and live to fish.

There are to many variations to comment on any basic rule.

I find in our area where the water is normaly the coulor of cold tea and a fairly hard tide run, a big juicy smelly bait needs to be pinned down hard on the bottom with a short trace, no more than about 18 inches.

if the water is gin clear and fish are using sight as much as smell then a longer trace say with fish strip as bait moveing around in the tide could be better.

for lure fishing , I mainly use eddystone eels, then as long a trace as I can manage works for me.

Like you say There are to many variations to comment on any basic rule. But I find that the longer the trace the more its pinned to the bottom in a strong tide especialy the tides we get of Rossall, its also down to the type of rig. keeping the bait on the bottom nearly always gets the fish for us.