Bait Bucket For Kayak Angler?

Elton

Posted on behalf of Steve:

quote:

Hi,

I'm fishing from a kayak and wish to keep sandeel for livebait.  Where can I get a floating troll bucket like a flambeau or a Frabill in the UK?

Steve.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elton:

Posted on behalf of Steve:

quote:

Hi,

I'm fishing from a kayak and wish to keep sandeel for livebait.  Where can I get a floating troll bucket like a flambeau or a Frabill in the UK?

Steve.

Why not make your own in the shape of a coffin using those wooden wine boxes that are thrown away, with a sliding lid, very tiny holes in the (optinal pointed end and slightly larger down the sides. Clip on the cover to stop it washing away, bit of weight in the front end to keep it under the water at 1knot speed. Copper screws/nails and that should just about do it. Those 3ply wine boxes could be a basic shape with the sliding lid, if its a double box you can use half for sandeel and the other for peelers etc. Oh a couple of bits of rope on either side towards the top tied off to the boats line. Make two holes towards the top front and pass the rope through and tie a fig of eight knot.

Cheers

Alan

Ps should add, there a lot more Kyaakers on here and well worth having a search round if you Join Anglers Net, the only junk mail I get is from Elton once in a while telling me about comps etc.

[ 11. February 2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Steve/Elton.

Live bait keepers were called courges in my younger days. They were originally double cone shaped and made from woven withies, then we used to make them from plywood - like above post says. It is basically a box with a pointy end or at least so it looks like a landing craft with a flat sloping bow. Line the interior with juts sacking - it helps to hold micronutrients and protect the delicate cargo - drill 1/4" holes all over the place to allow free flow of water - top, bottom and sides. The lid is hinged with the hinges at the bow end - this is important as it stops the lid coming open inadvertently. Use a turn buckle to hold lid shut.

1/8" plywood (about 5mm) is quite strong enough - but get some MARINE ply, otherwise it will delaminate very quickly - the wine box idea will last about two trips. Once the water gets in the wood will warp/split.

I used to have one sitting on the mooring where I kept my live prawns. They would stay alive for weeks in it.

The beauty of the courge is that you can tow it astern, it floats out of the way, then when you want an eel you can put it on your lap and the water drains out as you lift it from the water - lift lid, take eel now stranded out of water - replace lid and put courge overside. Bait up. It works for both eels and prawns.

Size: for a day's yak fishing I would suggest a small one - 12" x 8" x 6". You need it broad to stop it spinning and thereby the lid possibly coming open and dumping your bait for you!

Attach the tow rope to a bridle on the courge - a loop of rope (bathroom light cord would be plenty - parachute cord)then just have a small clip on your tow line to the bridle, or bend it on directly and tow it astern as you paddle. The drag from the courge is much less than the extra weight/instability caused by a bucket of water with an aereator - and you still have the cargo area free for other gear - ice box for your catch perhaps! Mackerel keep well if put into a coleman box with a couple of freezer blocks and a wet towel (old nappy!)

Have fun and let us all know how you get on.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

If you need a supplier for a courge I can probably get you one in Guernsey and post it over. They aren't cheap though, but they'll last for ever as they're now made of woven plastic tube instead of withies. An alternative would be a 5 gallon chemical drum with holes drilled in for water circulation and a door cut in the side. Not very hydrodynamic for towing behind a yak, but you can probably knock up some streamlining for it.

Edit: This site may be of interest:-

http://www.daba.eclipse.co.uk/prawn_trap.htm

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Lots of the a,erican anglers have installed their own live bait tanks, I'm gonna have a go at trying this as i already have some of the stuff, (pump etc) from an old fish tank. Heres a link to some of the american guys's set ups:

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/

hope this helps/ gives you some ideas. I wouldn't advise towing anything behind your yak underwater. Not only would it slow you down, i believe i wouldn't be safe.

Adventure fisherman,

A courge doesn't add any drag because being made of wood it floats! I have used one for years.

You will note I also said to make it small, because you can keep more bait in a courge than an aerated bucket - the weight of a bait tank in a yak is infinitely worse than a courge towed astern. The free surface effect for one thing. And you can't keep the eels/prawns alive as well because the water heats up, it doesn't in a courge because they are in the sea with fresh water circulating around them.

Just though t you might have missed a bit, that's all. You are right about drag below, and I agree. Perhaps I should have been a bit more detailed!

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hiya, I've got a trolling bait bucket, but to let you see it, I need the link for uploading pics, d'you have it....I'm on a new PC, and dont have it on this one...Cheers :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/