WHAT MAKES A GOOD CHARTER SKIPPER

big_cod

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its relatively simple, the best skippers are the ones you book another trip with immediately after the trip you've just had, be that due to quality of the angling, number of fish, size of fish or the knowledge that no matter what, he did his best to ensure EVERYONE had a good day (not just the experienced anglers).

What is true, however, is that once you find a skipper or boat that you like, you are likely to stay with that vessel/skipper for quite a while.

Being from 'sunny ull', and fishing on boats since I was 7, I've fished out of every port along the Yorkshire and Cleveland coast, even had a few trips off Northumberland. I fished out of Whitby in the late 80's and 90's, probably once a week at one point (with SJ on the old ST) and the rivalry with AW on S-T (RW on HoB as well but to a lesser extent) made the angling experience a good deal greater. The battles between anglers on these boats (myself, John Crow, Don Bellamy, soup-dragon and a few others on Sea Trek) against Ken Buckie, Hans plus a few others on Shy-torque used to make the festival so special. especially if we took the daily prizes and lorded it in little A on that evening.

Unfortunately, one rather large cod put paid to this weekly rivalry back in the early to mid-nineties?, plus the fact that jigging trips were becoming the main reason we were fishing and the fun began to dry up. I started going out of Brid but the inevitable jigging trips became the norm again (35 to 45 boxes between 4 or 5 anglers (350 - 400 stone a day - all cod)). Although this only lasted a couple of years and the cod soon began to be scarce and thin on the ground, well wrecks actually.

I haven't fished out of Whitby since about 93, although had a dabble out of Brid last year on the tope (great day, took 5 no. 15 yr olds and all got their first tope on their first fishing trip (smallest fish at 36lbs, biggest at 55lb) so I guess they would say that the skipper (Tony Pockley) was a good skipper.

Actually, just realised thats not true, before topey corrects me, we had three or four long trips with JB during 2003/04, which were enjoyable, plenty of fish and good craic

Edited by The doctor

I've not been on many charters 'cos I've got my own boat.

But did go last year and the skipper had a nice idea, he took digital photos of the anglers and their fish then gave us a CD with the pictures on.

A great idea that went down very well :)

He also caught the launce for us to use as bait which can be a pain in the @rse at times :lol:

I've not been on many charters 'cos I've got my own boat.

But did go last year and the skipper had a nice idea, he took digital photos of the anglers and their fish then gave us a CD with the pictures on.

A great idea that went down very well :)

He also caught the launce for us to use as bait which can be a pain in the @rse at times :lol:

I take a few snaps with the lads at sea and email them the photos if they want me to .

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I've been on many charters over the years and to me it comes down to a few key issues.

Willingness: A good charter skipper trys his hardest..if fish are few he will move without being asked to in order to find fish..if the fishing is poor he will get understanding from most customers if he shows willing. I understand that fuel use is an issue but most good skippers will see it as a swings and roundabout situation.

helpfulness: I know what i am doing but am never too old to learn new things...many people have not a clue and they require help to make it a good day. I've been on trips where the skipper aint interested and it makes for a difficult day if lines are constantly crossed and ettiquette is ignored. Experienced anglers can play a part here also rather than moaning

Pleasantness: If the fishing is good there is'nt time for anything but fishing ..if its poor and moral drops theres nothing worse than that brooding mood where anglers feel downhearted. A skipper needs to be upbeat and have good people skills.

Little things: A brew without asking. help with snarl ups....photos......

Having been out with Sam's dad and several of the other Bradwell skippers at that time such as J Rawle and K Benham, also C bond from Leigh on sea I think we were lucky in the Essex in the eighties reading some of the horror stories some of the lads have posted in the past.

All of the above seemed to be keen anglers and genuinley interested in seeing as many fish caught as possible.

Just to show Iam not that lucky I did once go out with owen wooley just the once though!

Edited by smudge1