Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

Matt. Leon and other Medway Mulleters. GP was full up with them this evening. Just before dark, 21.00Hrs, coming in with the tide, in about 2ft of water. (the water was only half way up the mud) They were feeding on the scum on the water, that comes in with the first bit of tide. Must have been a couple of dozen, most about 2lb but some very large ones among them. That's the most I have ever seen at the pier in one go.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt. Leon and other Medway Mulleters. GP was full up with them this evening. Just before dark, 21.00Hrs, coming in with the tide, in about 2ft of water. (the water was only half way up the mud) They were feeding on the scum on the water, that comes in with the first bit of tide. Must have been a couple of dozen, most about 2lb but some very large ones among them. That's the most I have ever seen at the pier in one go.

Hi Stoaty,

Seeing mullet and catching them are very different prospects, especially when they are preoccupied feeding on something other than bread!

Phil the Fish and I were 'entertained' for the whole early tide on Friday, fishing a creek that was packed with cruising mullet, including some quite sizeable fish, many of which took the trouble to inspect our tackle, but showed absolutely no interest at all in either the hook bait or free offerings. :(

I might take up bow fishing!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Ah but if you know where they are, then in theory, you at least have a better chance than just slinging your hook. I would like to know whats in that scum they were feeding on.

Ah but if you know where they are, then in theory, you at least have a better chance than just slinging your hook. I would like to know whats in that scum they were feeding on.

Have to agree with you stoaty in Weymouth 90% of the time you can actually see the fish and can see them playing around with your hook-bait but often not even moving the float. Like you say at least you know they are there! That at least gives you hope if you fish blind their may not be a mullet by your hook bait for miles and that would definately break me!

After blanking on Gillingham pier two weeks ago, while fishing within a mass of Mullet skimming the mud in shallow water on a rising tide, I managed one ( 4lb 15oz ) from Sun pier last Sunday.

It provided an excellent fight, but the number of Medway fish I have caught "per hour" this year must work out to be aprox 0.022 !!

Edited by Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd

second day.... only one fish, but a better fish at 4lb-10oz ... my best ever Jersey mullet ... so I'm a happy man, maybe I should quit whilst I'm ahead and get the next ferry back... :rolleyes:

http://www.uk-fishing.com/diarylatest/jers...ier03aug06.html

Hope to catch up with Chippy in the next few days not having fished with him for a few years now, and see how things go from there....

Phil

day 3 -- just one golden of 2-02 which I think = my PB :) and not bad for here as I think the record for Jersey is only around 2.08 or so

http://www.uk-fishing.com/diarylatest/jers...ier04aug06.html

Need to give my eyes a rest - rather sore having watched the float for three days, so off for some plugging fun over the weekend may be, and switch back to the mullet next week... we shall see

Phil