Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I missed all this been really busy at work! Excellent results Phil and some great reports as normal! Still been fishing for the mullet but still can't get any better than 4lb 10z at the moment. Didn't know you knew chippy as well! I used to speak to him on the net a few years ago when he used to post on this forum. He was the person who helped me get started with some sound advise at the beginning of my mulleting career. Even though I have never actually met him.

Sorry I missed all this been really busy at work! Excellent results Phil and some great reports as normal! Still been fishing for the mullet but still can't get any better than 4lb 10z at the moment. Didn't know you knew chippy as well! I used to speak to him on the net a few years ago when he used to post on this forum. He was the person who helped me get started with some sound advise at the beginning of my mulleting career. Even though I have never actually met him.

Yer its a small world ..... Leon taught me, I taught Chippy, and Chippy taught you............. and on it goes..

The last two weeks on Jersey were poor with a lot of 8 to 10" mullet, poor weather / wind / tide combinations, and the fact that I slipped over and smashed my knee up so didn't really feel like doing too much rock-hopping..... so I'll write those days up as and when - along with a whole load of others from the past couple of years!!!!!....

Did manage to take Karen down to Shoreham today, but the 10" mullet I caught looked a lot like those from Jersey..... think I'm doomed to catch small fry until next year the way things are going!!!!!

Phil

After taking 4 from Sun Pier ( 2 per trip ) on the weekend of August 19th incluing a PB of 6lb 1oz I fished last Saturday afternoons tide. I have been finding the fish apearing as soon as there is enough water to cover their backs, bites being very shy, but Saturday saw me connect and lose a decent fish as the tide was half way up ( hook pulled after 5 secs of manic head shaking ), then nothing until just past the turn at 16.30 when a drawn out tremble resulted in connecting and landing a fish of 4lb 11oz.

Most of my Medway fishing is dangle down. The majority of fish I hook as follows . . a knock or tremble shows they are present, taking hold of the line with my left hand as it hangs from the rod tip I feel for the bite, if I get a heavy sensation I jerk the line up pick up the rod with my left hand, ensuring that no slack occoures and bingo. If no "heavy sensation" I watch the line as it enters the water, if it moves away from the vertical again I jerk the line upwards as before. This has increased my catches by 100%. But there is a price to pay . . intensive concentration, hours of it.

Only two fish this year have given me such positive bites that I have been able to strike, without feeling the line, and connect. Now it may be that some of the fish I have had, hooking by the above method would have developed into better bites, but many would not!

Edited by Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd

Opp's meant to say . . Thanks for your Jersey reports Phil, most enjoyable.

Well done again Andy! I must admit all my fish are coming at low water. As soon as the tide is more than half way up you might as well give up it just doesn't seem to happen!

You definately seem to have more quality than quantity this year and I still can't get over that 6lber. Do you have a picture of it?

Went for a bike ride the other day, along the Strand at Gillingham.

Spotted mullet in the shallows.

Today I went spinning for bass at Sharps Green and the flipping things (mullet) were all around me as I waded amongst the sea-grass.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Went for a bike ride the other day, along the Strand at Gillingham.

Spotted mullet in the shallows.

Today I went spinning for bass at Sharps Green and the flipping things (mullet) were all around me as I waded amongst the sea-grass.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Andrew Boyd