inshore angling poll

stavey

uk inshore angling is crap says keith arthur do you agree?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree?

• yes
    • no

While listening to keith arthur's weekly radio show this morning, replying to a caller's question about the french fishermen being caught and fined for illegal fishing etc, he went on to highlight that all european fishermen and our own uk were at it and have helped to make our inshore sea angling crap! i have to say i absolutely agree with him 100% what do you think??????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

While listening to keith arthur's weekly radio show this morning, replying to a caller's question about the french fishermen being caught and fined for illegal fishing etc, he went on to highlight that all european fishermen and our own uk were at it and have helped to make our inshore sea angling crap! i have to say i absolutely agree with him 100% what do you think??????

:clap2: It has long been so but MAFF and SFC's were always happy to turn a Nelsonian eye, even when given all the details. They did the occasional pulling in of illegal nets for the TV cameras but never waited to catch the guilty party coming to collect it. Probably one of their mates or something. :clap2:

Is your poll to find out if we think inshore angling is crap or to agree with you and Keith Arthur that all foreign and UK fishermen , to use your own words "are at it"

Hi brian, we all know the reasons why our inshore angling is crap! the poll is about whether most anglers agree or not? and it was nice for a change to hear an angling journalist/radio presenter or someone who relies on anglers for a living, stand up and admit and say it as it is, instead of a lot of bol*ocks some in that trade tend to speak to sell their wares............

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

What exactly did he say the illegal fishing was ,as this topic was more or less flatly denide by some on this forum.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

An interesting one this. As someone who has only been sea fishing for about ten year and only got more interested in the last 3 or 4 years it is hard for me to agree from my own experience of sea fishing. My fishing has stayed constant over the period I have fished - so I have nothing to compare with. However I look at the pictures in the magazines and on websites from times before I fished and it is plain to see that shore fishermen caught a lot more fish in the 60\'s, 70\'s and 80\'s than they do now. Were they better fishermen back in those days or was there more fish about to be caught. Im not sure what has brought about the downward trend but my experience as a commercial fisherman lets me think we have played our part in it.

Hi brian, we all know the reasons why our inshore angling is crap! the poll is about whether most anglers agree or not? and it was nice for a change to hear an angling journalist/radio presenter or someone who relies on anglers for a living, stand up and admit and say it as it is, instead of a lot of bol*ocks some in that trade tend to speak to sell their wares............

If it is so crap and so poor fishing our UK inshore waters as to have to put your gear away for 9 months of the year why is it that the likes of Davy Holt, Ian Burret and Big Cod and the rest of the Whitby chartering fleet do so well at fishing and catching in the inshore waters , sometimes no further than 500 yards off the beach. All of this whilst still supporting a commercial fleet from their own areas. Whitby boats as an example have been catching half a mile from shore whilst the beach fishermen have been struggling fishing the same shoreline, how's that work then is it just crap inshore fishing or is it more likely that there is no feed on the beach like there used to be to draw fish to the shores edge.

My theory for what its worth is that shore angling for certain species is poor because of all of the clean up of sewage dishcharges that used to occur on our beach's and shoreline leading to cleaner purer water that is lacking in both mineral and bacterial substance that encourages worm and other marine fish foodstuffs to live and breed there. Look at your own area and see how the rag and lug and razor populations have declined at about the same rate that sewage discharges to sea have declined, there has to be a link there in the food supply chain that encourages fish to come inshore especially on the beach. If boat anglers can catch three or four stone of cod per rod then the fish are there and feeding heavily but just not hitting the beach

If you think thats a load of baloney then talk to the EA and ask them whats happening to the likes of the Trent and other big rivers now that discharge to them has stopped. They have got cleaner but at a cost to algeal growth and weed depleation leading to increased water clarity , lack of foodstuffs and a problem with fry recruitment

Try now and put those same thoughts towards what now happens with our beach's. As the EU now make us clean our beach's and stop discharging sewage in the sea there will be a period of change where some species readjust to whats happening with the food chain whilst others like bass will benefit from cleaner beach's and an increased supply of shrimp and sand eel

To try and say that all of our UK inshore waters are crap just because fish are scarce in your area is scaremongering at its worst and could lead to situations where some reading your reports would cancel inshore chartering trips believing that every thing you say is true when in actual fact the very reverse may right