Compensation For Angler Injured At Work

Elton

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/angling_lifeline.html

I've slated personal injury lawyers in the past, but the above article is an example of when they do a job that needs doing. I dare say that Nick would rather have the use of his legs back, but at least the money he has received will mean that he can have some enjoyment in life.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/angling_lifeline.html

I've slated personal injury lawyers in the past, but the above article is an example of when they do a job that needs doing. I dare say that Nick would rather have the use of his legs back, but at least the money he has received will mean that he can have some enjoyment in life.

Nice article. The subject of disabled access to rivers is an interesting one - a certain number of city centre stretches are probably manageable for wheelchair users (parts of Bath certainly are), but they don't have the natural surroundings that many love. Then there's the problem of winter flooding wreaking havoc with platforms. Somewhere like the lower Itchen fishery where cars can get along the bank should be favourite? All they'd really need is some paving from the track to a platform. Sounds easy on the surface but I'd guess there are loads of complications.

Anyone aware of any disabled-friendly river fishing?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

You can already see 'New' Charter Boat designs which are becomming available quoting "wheelchair access" as a feature.

It will not be long before the impacts of the Disability Discrimenation Law will be applied to businesses who's trade is fishing.

At this stage in the game with some of the 'slightly overzealous' people out there it will not be long before a Charter Boat Skipper 'turns away' a potential customer in a wheel chair and suffers for it.

Not on a soapbox, as I am registered disabled but some people will try and make a fast buck on it as has already happend in some areas.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Anyone aware of any disabled-friendly river fishing?

I must admit Glenn the only places I have been to with decent disabled access have been urban canals.

The cricket club I play for have installed a ramp with funds raised incase there are any disabled supporters of other clubs visiting, and I believe the local council are trying to make it law for all sports pavillions where spectators use the facilities.

Most pubs and restaurants HAVE to have disabled access.

Why should fisheries be any different? If a commercial fishery earns enough money through its income then disabled access should be supplied.

I take it Glenn you are not finding many fisheries that cater for your needs?

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I take it Glenn you are not finding many fisheries that cater for your needs?

Simon

I'm OK and still clambering up+down dodgy riverbanks (for the foreseeable future anyway ;) ) - it was more a case of wondering whether any river fisheries were following the lead of many still waters. Indeed, whether it's even reasonable to try, given the serious added difficulties.

I'm OK and still clambering up+down dodgy riverbanks (for the foreseeable future anyway ;) ) - it was more a case of wondering whether any river fisheries were following the lead of many still waters. Indeed, whether it's even reasonable to try, given the serious added difficulties.

Thanks for clearing that up - made the wrong presumption there!

From what I know from other people it doesn't seem many rivers are bothering. Let's hope they change the law at some time to make it that they have no choice.

Thanks for clearing that up - made the wrong presumption there!

From what I know from other people it doesn't seem many rivers are bothering. Let's hope they change the law at some time to make it that they have no choice.

Mmmmm, but I wonder what the health+safety+insurance implications are? If a wheelchair user takes a tumble into the shallows of a pond it *might* not be disastrous, but into a healty flowing river? Ica nthe whole issue getting a bit fraught :(

Good point. I can see baillifs turning up with disclaimers for disabled anglers to sign! A simple raised lip near the bank would prevent a chair going in, but is just as likely to cause an able-bodied person to go tumbling A over T into the water!

I can't see how all rivers could be made wheel chair accessable, by their very nature they are always changing, apart from built up areas with moorings or urban bankside. Most of the rivers around here have high flood banks, that would severly restrict access, unless there are wheel chair equivalents of a 4x4.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

There's also the issue of the ecological damage in making *some* more natural river venues wheelchair-friendly. There just isn't access for some waters, in others you'd have to do a lot of clearance of vegetation, hard-landscaping and platform-building. In some places where rivers cut through sandy banks you'd be relocating and rebuilding platforms at every flood. It seems unlikely to me that there would be any legal obligation to do this.