barbel in ponds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 butiaboy

butiaboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:growing exotic plants in my garden <br />(palms bananas citrus )<br />/fishkeeping /fishing

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

hi everybody i have found an online fishshop that sells barbel and am thinking of adding 2/3 fish to my pond has anybody else tried them in a backyard fish pond ?

barbel
my favourite fishing spot

chesterfield canal chesterfield

#2 grumpybum

grumpybum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

[/quote]Torpedo-shaped like a gudgeon, barbel are long, muscular fish with large triangular pectoral fins that have the power to cope with periods of high flow [quote]
The above taken from the description given in the link you posted. High flows of water not very likely in a pond. The native barbel which the fish advertised are not, require high oxygen levels. Which I doubt a pond could sustain when tempertures are high without additional oxygenation. Barbel are bottom dwellers so would you be able to see them?

As an angler and a river angler I hate the thought of any barbel in still waters.

#3 Guest_Ferret1959_*

Guest_Ferret1959_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

At that price I may stock some in to our fishery. ;)

#4 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

I've seen a range of inappropriate fish including barbel and trout for sale at a local garden centre. You could engineer a koi pond with some suitable habitat to keep small barbel. Anything less would be unsuitable.

#5 chuby

chuby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:FISHING,TRAVEL

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:04 PM

A mate has had a barbel in his pond for years.Packed on a lot of weight as well.Purchased from a shop.
The pond does have a water fall and small fountain.

#6 Josh W

Josh W

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Fishin, shootin'.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

Barbel could be kept in a decent sized pool, look at the poplars lake in the link from my local fishery. It holds many fish and is about .3 of an acre. It holds barbel, chub, roach, carp, tench and alot of gudegon.

http://www.hamptonsp....co.uk/info.htm
Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22
Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:
Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner
Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono
COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp
Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna