Links to our own websites.

glennk

At times I have placed links to other websites in the commercial and non commercial website promotion areas. Quite a few infact. I have never given it a second thought and always assumed this was ok. Im just checking really that it is as Ive just learnt that some other forum owners are sick of people putting on links without asking. I never gave such things a second thought before now. Is it rude to link out of forums to other sites ?

That's what those forums are there for Glenn, but it would be counted as taking the widdle if you posted the same link too regularly - once or twice a month would be reasonable :)

Obviously, if someone asks a question (for eg, 'where can I get a decent online weather forcast?'), it is perfectly fine to put a link or even several links in your reply :thumbs:

Hope I've cleared that up for you.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I think a lot of it has to do with how/why you presented the link(s) and in how comfortable the forum owner is with his site.

Elton has never worried about outside links because AN is solid and he does not fear competition.

We do stomp pretty quickly on the new poster who joins just to tout another site - the spammish sort of thing - but you have not done that over the years. There has always been a legit reason for posting a link.

I'm active on another site that due to the nature of the content, disallows almost all links. I agree with their position. We discuss mainly how to improve site ranking with search engines and how to run good advert campaigns so a huge number of links would be spamming attempts.

I left another site because they refused to allow links and as nearly as I could make out, there was no good reason for it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What they said.

The promotion forums I added were for this type of thing specifically, but there are times when it's perfectly legit to add a link in a 'normal' thread.

To be honest, as a site owner, you'll know if and when you're taking the pee - just imagine it was your own site and wether you'd be happy :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Just out of interest Elton, did you delete a link of mine from Nesa ? all the mods insist it wasnt them and say the only other person could have been you. I just was trying to get to the bottom of why it had gone so that I didnt make the same mistake again ? Sorry to be a pain. I would pm but on mod control I dont think I can.

I haven't deleted anything from NESA for about two years. It's run by an extremely good bunch of moderators, who don't need me to butt in.

I'll back them to the hilt, however, as they do such a good job there.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Just out of interest Elton, did you delete a link of mine from Nesa ? all the mods insist it wasnt them and say the only other person could have been you. I just was trying to get to the bottom of why it had gone so that I didnt make the same mistake again ? Sorry to be a pain. I would pm but on mod control I dont think I can.

Interesting.

I don't remember being asked (although my memory is not perfect by any means so it is possible I was asked and just didn't notice) but I have no clue what Nesa might be.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Interesting.

I don't remember being asked (although my memory is not perfect by any means so it is possible I was asked and just didn't notice) but I have no clue what Nesa might be.

www.nesa.co.uk :)

Oh - fishing-related information. Dang, and here I was hoping for lovely naked ladies doing interesting things.

Nope - I for sure didn't delete that one unless by accident.

In fact, the only thread I can find in the deleted section is one from 2003 where you (elton) are the first in the thread to mention the site and to note that it was yours.