Worms and fairy liquid?

Papa Lazarou

Hi All, i remember as a lad me and my dad used to pour buckets of soapy(fairy liquid)water on the lawn then like magic several big tasty worms appeared?( i assumed that the fairy was an irritant?) anyway i have tried this in recent weeks without any results?,where am i going wong?

Wanna buy some pegs dave..

Hi All, i remember as a lad me and my dad used to pour buckets of soapy(fairy liquid)water on the lawn then like magic several big tasty worms appeared?( i assumed that the fairy was an irritant?) anyway i have tried this in recent weeks without any results?,where am i going wong?

Hard to say. Our veggie patch is thick with worms just below the surface so I'm sure they're under the lawn too. Do you have some flower beds or veg patch you could dig over??

*But* I always found that worms flushed out with detergents got sickly and died quite quickly. Maybe OK for the next day, but not for keeping ;)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Soapy water was never that great if you ask me. Get a spade and do it properly.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Soapy water was never that great if you ask me. Get a spade and do it properly.

Forget the spade & soapy water, get out on a dark wet night with a torch, now thats proper worm hunting!

Providing you've got the back for it of course :)

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

i would prefer the hi tech approach of getting a portable sterio and a tape / cd og house/garrage or bassey dance (not disco) music and a box .

wet a patch of ground then you lay the sterio speakers down and play the music load and then cover with a box and then you wait for the worms to come to the surface then pick them up.its the bass in the music that brings them too the surface(the beat and rhythm simulate heavy rainfall),that or they come up to dance and gyrate in time to the music LOL.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest rabbit

Or you could try and 'charm' them out of the ground by tapping on the handle of a garden fork, that doesn't work too well either. The best way is a torch at night on a wet lawn, watch out for the cops though.

Edited by rabbit

Guest Ferret1959

Best way is go down the local tackle shop. :)

Why don't folk go to the farmers muck heaps these days?

As a kid I lived on a farm and then red worms from the cow/pig/poo/straw worked a treat and were easy to collect. :)

As a kid I lived on a farm and then red worms from the cow/pig/poo/straw worked a treat and were easy to collect. :)

Good idea Dave as I uses to collect redworm of the muck heap from a nearby farm a few years ago and still do.

Why don't you go down to the local gardens allotment and offer someone or willing to dig the vegetable plots, am sure you will get plenty of them especially after when an heavy downpour.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

My friends and I used to do this when we were kids. There was a stables nearby which allowed us to dig in the manure. We used to collect pints of worms for free. There was a small club water we used to fish which was stuffed with tench. None over about three pounds, but plenty of them. We used to chop the worms up with scissors and loose feed them (cereal groundbait was banned). This would be about twenty years ago, long before I heard of chopped worm as a mainstream match fishing technique; I'm sure match anglers have been doing it since time immemorial, but it wasn't something you saw described in the fishing papers.

On one of my many fishing trips to holland some youngsters showed me how they caught worms....they simply put a bankstick into the ground and tapped it vigourously on the side repeatedly....worms appeared as if by magic - I was suitably impressed.

I haven't had the same degree of success myself in the UK but the soil in Holland is typically very soft and sandy...

just thought i'd mention it..

brgds <')Andy<