Importing a Boat

Carlos

Having looked at what's available in the UK, and decided none are suitable, I now want to import a boat from America. Newt has suggested I ask you helpful chaps on here. Has anyone the first idea what I need to do? The boat is a 14 foot Lund and I already know of a dealer who has a second hand one. I've no idea on how to arrange shipping or payment or what duties I am likely to pay. The boat with outboard and trailer is $8000.

Any help very much appreciated.

Carlos

Having looked at what's available in the UK, and decided none are suitable, I now want to import a boat from America. Newt has suggested I ask you helpful chaps on here. Has anyone the first idea what I need to do? The boat is a 14 foot Lund and I already know of a dealer who has a second hand one. I've no idea on how to arrange shipping or payment or what duties I am likely to pay. The boat with outboard and trailer is $8000.

Any help very much appreciated.

Carlos

I don't envy you the logistics problems that you'll now find yourself having to organise your way around. You first need to decide where you intend shipping from. The closer your boat is to the Eastern Seaboard or the Great Lakes area then the cheaper and easier it becomes, since whilst shipping companies will move your boat by sea from Miami, New York, Chicago, etc, you'll need to find a way of getting it there first and if your dealer is a good way away, then moving a boat and trailer by road can add a thousand plus dollars to the cost. If your dealer is a few hundred miles from the port, then you may need another company to move the boat from the dealership to the ship (if your agent is not equipped to do so). If your dealer is conveniently close to where you intend to ship from then he'll probably move it for you (for a fee) BTW most small boat dealers in the USA haven't a clue about getting a small boat to the UK, so don't rely on them to be helpful. Pity its not a new boat, The Lund factory have an agent just north of Amsterdam.

If you have your heart set on this particular boat then first find a shipping agent. Google up 'shipping agents' get quotes from at least three, both for collection of the boat (and trailer ?) from your dealer and shipping to the UK (usually southampton) The boat may go as deck cargo or as part of a container load, so compare prices if there is a choice of 'berth' available. Confirm security arrangements whilst waiting to be loaded in the US and whilst awaiting collection in the UK and also confirm that within the price, theyll handle all shipping and customs paperwork. If you find an agent who is used to handling cars then they'll be geared up to handle a small boat.

You may not find an agent willing to collect the boat from the dealer, so you may need to hunt around over the net with several US based haulage companies who can tow your little boat to the big boat. Also a shipping agent may insist on moving your boat by road on a costly low loader. A US road haulage company will be equipped to simply hitch up the trailer and tow it to its destination.

Before giving you any prices they'll want to know the exact dimensions of the boat on its trailer with any engine overhang. Thats overall length, breadth and height. Total weight will also be part of the equation. The dealer should be able to supply the information.

If the boat you're after is in the southwest, northwest or lower midwestern states then I'd think again and find one closer to a convenient port serving the UK. I take it from your choice of boat, that you're a piker. That means that your best bet is up around the Great Lakes. Most of the pike/musky specific boat factories are up around the border (and Canada) and most are sold in that area. It therefore stands to reason that most used boats will be up in that part of the country. Further south you go, the more bass boats predominate.

Cost (last time I asked) was around £2.500-£3000 for a seventeen footer plus around £1000-1200 VAT and Duty (on $8000). This little venture may cost you as much as £4500 including incidentals, particularly if you include a quick visit to check out the boat and see it loaded on its way to the ship. About £9000-9500 in total. If its a typically american hi tech trailer and the boat and engine are in good shape then its still a good deal compared with the basic 14 foot Seastrike lure boat, trailer and half decent engine. The dutch Marcraft is a much nicer craft but not cheap. You might want to take a look at it though at http://www.marcraft.nl/.

You should also mail Jan Eggars in the Netherlands via http://www.eggers.nl/ to enquire about both new and used Alumacraft boats (very similar to Lund) just in case he happens to have a part exchange bargain in his shop.

Good Luck.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

----- Original Message -----

To: Me

Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 12:01 PM

Subject: Confirmation of Rate for your Motor Yacht - YSL Reference Number: 19229

Dear Mr. ,

We thank you for your rate request which we received from Yacht Path this morning for the movement of your Luhrs 32 sport from San Diego to Southampton. We can offer you sailings from Long Beach to Southampton and are pleased to confirm our rate indication here below, based on the dimensions and weights as shown. Any changes will affect the total costs.

Length Beam Overall Height Displacement Weight

10.36m 3.78m 4.26m 6.80MT

FREIGHT RATE: US$ 20,425.00

(Basis - Quay to Quay Inclusive of Load Port Terminals/Loading/Freight/Discharge/Discharge Port Terminals/ /Documentation/Brokerage)

Additional if required:

Marine Cargo Insurance - If insurance for transport is required, please notify us of the insurable value and under the new FSA regulations (effective 14.01.2005) our Insurance Brokers will contact you directly.

Exclusions:

Customs Clearance, Agency Fees, any dues and local taxes on freight and/or cargo

We hope that the above quotation meets with your approval and await your further instruction. If you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Kirsty Stratton

YACHT SHIPPING LIMITED

Bowling Green House

1 Orchard Place

Southampton

SO14 3PX

UK

Tel: +44 (0) 23 80223671

Fax: +44 (0) 23 80330881

Email: shipping@ysl.wainwrightgroup.com

:(

Edited by Huge_Vitae

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Take a look at this new Alumacraft 145. Complete with trailer, Honda 20hp (four stroke) Complete down to anchor, battery and recirculating pump for a livebait well. 11,000 Euros (£7,500 ish) plus the cost of picking it up in Holland

Alumacraft 145

BEWARE of the clause YACHT in the insurance, i once shipped a boat to Gambia, when it arrived it was stripped bare, just a hull and trailer.

When i tried to claim on the insurance, they tried to throw out the claim for the engine, claiming i had insured a yacht.

It took a long time to get my money, also deck cargo is cheaper but probably not to be advised, it sometimes falls off, also some of the crew may find it is better to sleep in than their quarters. :(

Thanks for the help chaps. I have looked at Eggers (is it THE Jan Eggers?)and like the Alumacraft but not quite as much.. especially in white... I want green (in the way Waynetta didn't want braaaaan) The boat is hopefully going to be the final one in my collection!! so I want it just so... fussy git :lol:

From what I've read it may be just as simple to pop over to Holland. I assume as part of the EU there would be no duty. I'm planning a fishing trip over there later in the year anyway.

Thanks for the help chaps. I have looked at Eggers (is it THE Jan Eggers?)and like the Alumacraft but not quite as much.. especially in white... I want green (in the way Waynetta didn't want braaaaan) The boat is hopefully going to be the final one in my collection!! so I want it just so... fussy git :lol:

From what I've read it may be just as simple to pop over to Holland. I assume as part of the EU there would be no duty. I'm planning a fishing trip over there later in the year anyway.

is it THE Jan Eggers?)

The very same and very helpful he is too if you just need a few parts. He's also got a very tasty looking used Sylvan 16 foot outift for about 7500 quid. Would probably throw in a tin of green paint on the house. Looking at some of the similarities of the profiles and sizes of the Lund and Alumacraft, I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least some of the basic hulls came out of the same factory.

Buying within the EU is straightforward. Just make sure that you have all of the sales paperwork which ID's that VAT has been paid in Holland.

Might be grasping at straws, but if you knew someone in the U.S forces ??? My uncle got his car shipped over for free......and home again....... :D:D AND , not a mark on it ..... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi Carlos. Glad you found your way here and it sounds like you already have some excellent advice.

From your original post, $8000 seems more than a little much for a used 14 ft Lund given that it won't be mounting a particularly large outboard and that is where the serious money comes in.

Last year I bought a 17 Ft Tracker Tundra with a similar hull design to the Lund boats with a fairly broad beam and high sides. New with a 115hp Merc Optimax outboard and a new trailer (the standard US one made for long distance, high speed road trips) and I think it ran me less than $18,000. If I'd opted for a 150hp, the price would have gone to over $25,000 so the size of the motor is a huge part of the price and a 14 ft boat wouldn't need that much motor.

Granted, prices on the Lund run higher although I am not sure if that is quality or name but $8K for a used 14ft would give me pause.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

... some of the crew may find it is better to sleep in than their quarters. :(

I spent 9 years in the Merchant Navy and never heard of anybody kippin' in the cargo 'lest they were rat-assed drunk or stoned.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote