flourocarbon line

dav

Alright lads and laddesses , can any one tell me what berkley vanish flourcarbon line is like to use when spinning and ledger /feeder fishing , always used mono but seen this stuff and from my old flyfishing days it was a great leader to use being virtually invisible but also remember it was quite stiff and unforgiving and was wondering what it would be like to use on my fixed spool reel as my main line again for spinning and ledgering , cheers any help appreciated Thanks...

Alright lads and laddesses , can any one tell me what berkley vanish flourcarbon line is like to use when spinning and ledger /feeder fishing , always used mono but seen this stuff and from my old flyfishing days it was a great leader to use being virtually invisible but also remember it was quite stiff and unforgiving and was wondering what it would be like to use on my fixed spool reel as my main line again for spinning and ledgering , cheers any help appreciated Thanks...

Berkley Vanish...horrendous stuff, snapped like cotton for no particular reason and its too slippery for decent knots.

Berkely Vanish Transition....entirely different line. Bought some for barbel and chub last year when braid seemed to be spooking fish in clear water and I have some for piking on waters where braid is not allowed. Very nice line, very limp but still has a bit of a hard coating that fluoro is noted for. Definitely would recommend it. Beats me why Berkeley still make the old stuff.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Can't comment on Vanish Transition as iI've never used it. However, like Gerry, I too found that the original Vanish would snap for no apparent reason. I binned mine! It's a shame as it's the only Berkeley line I've ever had any problem with over the years.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks for that , i think i,ll be sticking to maxima whilst ledgering and fireline when spinning ,good choice ? ,or can yers recomend any other type of thin dia mono in 8lb strain for general ledger fishing for chubb etc and what colours does the populas go for ,when chasing chubb in clear water etc , the reason im after 8lb is , i fish snaggy water, with the chance of salmon/seatrout normally use dark brown maxima and thought ide try and get a thinner possibly clear line like flouro ,to keep the same strength but for better presentation . cheers

Dav, I too used Maxima for many years. I now use Pro Gold which is definitely superior. See my field test at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/progold01.htm

Last year I experimented with Krystonite. I'll certainly be going back to Pro Gold this year!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I now use the spool of Vanish i have as dental floss because thats all its good for,i now use Wychwood and have had no problems with it.

atb

malc

Transition all the way for me now i use it for both hooklinks and snag leaders wicked stuff.

Can't say I've used the transition line but I have tried two or three flourocarbon lines and they were all useless.

Fireline is (for me) the best choice for spinning (using a fixed spool reel)with relativly light gear. If you're using a baitcasting outfit, you'd probably do better with a round profile braid like the ever-popular Power-Pro though.

There are lots of good choices for baitfishing on the bottom. I happen to like AN40 but everyone will have their own preference.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Most 100% fluorocarbon lines are relatively stiff and springy and are as such more or less useless on spinning reels. Without being careful to the extreme or using spinning reels with spool design more or less specially aimed at fluorocarbon you will easily experience line coming off the spool in coils when casting, giving you some horrendous birds nests to deal with. A lot of fluorocarbon line is also very brittle and extra, extra care must be taken when tying knots.

I never got around to trying them out, but in America it’s very common to use semi fluorocarbon lines such as Yo-Zuri Hybrid soft on spinning reels and apparently they work well.