Privacy

BoozleBear

I got sent this, looked myself up and I was on there. Please take note of this and the bit I have added below stating how you can remove yourself.

Dear All

It will pay to look yourself up and keep circulating this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A website has been brought to my attention that may pose a risk. The website is www.b4usearch.com and by clicking on 'People' and typing in an individuals name and area it brings up their home address, phone number, details of other members in the household, details of neighbours in the same street and also directions to your home.

I would advise that if your details can be accessed via this website, that you have them removed. To do this send an email to privacy@b4u.co.uk and your request should be removed within 21 days if they are not removed within this time you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office by sending an email to compliance@ico.gsi.gov.uk

I sent them an e-mail requesting removal. They sent me this back, which is a quicker way of getting yourself off their database...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your Email.

We are receiving over 2000 emails daily, so to speed things up we have now made it possible for you to remove your own details using our website.

If you search for yourself, you will see an option on the left- the ‘remove me’ function. Please follow the easy steps and your details will be processed for removal.

By using the ‘remove me’ function you will be required to enter some personal details so we can verify and remove you quicker. However it is still taking up to 30 days for removal.

If you are not happy leaving your personal details on our website you are able to fax requests in on 0911 443 4433 please remember to state your full name, address and postcode as it appears on the website. This is guaranteed to get you removed straight away within a few hours.

Please note that we are unable to take phone requests for removals.

We aim to have you removed within 30 working days via the web, or Within a couple of hours via our fax number 0911 443 4433.

Thank you

B4Usearch.com

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jan V

Thanks for the headsup, BB. Interestingly, U.S. people also come up on the search. Newt does but it contains a very handy link regarding our business so a nice thing there. However, my brother who is a retired cop, comes up with his home address. He guards that info very fiercely but I see no option for deletion like indicated in your post. I would actually have problems providing these people even more personal data so as to be removed but I am emailing my brother so he can check it out.

Edited by Jan V

Guest Jan V
Have heard of this before. I dunno how such a website can be legal :huh:

Emz, the info that comes up actually also comes up on a Google search. What this site does, though, is filter out a lot of the crip-crap.

Edited by Jan V

"The website is www.b4usearch.com and by clicking on 'People' and typing in an individuals name and area it brings up their home address, phone number, details of other members in the household, details of neighbours in the same street and also directions to your home."

In other words, something you can easily find out via the electoral roll, a phone book and a map.

Yep - seems to be a spate of these sites, who merely offer information that's in the public domain and rely on the public's fear to make them phone/fax a premium rate number to get it 'removed'. :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

i tried 6 people i know and it didn't return a single thing of any interest, just 'google' type hits.

yet another scam, i certainly won't be losing sleep over it

Guest Jan V
i tried 6 people i know and it didn't return a single thing of any interest, just 'google' type hits.

yet another scam, i certainly won't be losing sleep over it

Nothing comes up that isn't available on our website. But, in my brother's case, his having been a police sergeant until retiring didn't exactly endear him to some people. His phone# is unlisted/non-published and he guards his address very closely.

His phone# is unlisted/non-published and he guards his address very closely.

obviously not closely enough, as all that site does is trawl search engines for data :)

Guest Jan V
obviously not closely enough, as all that site does is trawl search engines for data :)

I've emailed him and have no doubts he will be raising holy h*ll with someone (and for once - not me)