TV licence question.

Guest Ferret1959

When I first purchased a TV card for a PC at work we got a TV licence letter a few weeks later.

I wrote to them explaining that the card was only being used to get video from a camcorder onto a PC and was not being used for TV viewing (although cabable of doing so if I'd fitted an aerial) and got back a 'dispensation letter' a week or two later!

So it does look as though you can have the kit with no licence BUT get the letter as proof should the detector man comeaknocking.

PS my chums who used to work for the ministry making the detectors told me that the oscillator the van picks up cannot tell if the TV is colour or BW and they use sales info from TV shops to tell them who does and does not have a colour licence.

(NB that was 20 odd years ago - they may be able to sniff it out now).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about when i take my little portable fishing, can i watch world cup from my bivvy this June?

My Mother in Law lives with us and it's her name on our household license so how do I go on about having my handheld telly on the bank?

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

What about when i take my little portable fishing, can i watch world cup from my bivvy this June?

My Mother in Law lives with us and it's her name on our household license so how do I go on about having my handheld telly on the bank?

Answer to a question in parliament about TVs on mobile phones.

The question of whether you need a TV licence to view TV on a mobile phone was clarified in Parliament yesterday. In answer to two questions in the Lords, on whether you need a licence to view content, and whether this is covered by the owner's domestic television licence or whether a separate licence is required, Lord Davies of Oldham, speaking for the Government said that "the BBC, as licensing authority, has responsibility for interpreting the television licensing legislation and determining licensing requirements in individual cases. However, a television licence is required to install or use any apparatus for the purpose of receiving any television programme service, whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise and whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose ... Such a licence permits the licensee or a person normally living with the licensee at the licensed address to use a television receiver powered solely by its own internal batteries anywhere in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man".
Edited by ayjay

Hi all

paying for the license wouldnt be too bad if the programs were any damn good and not repeated every month(like sky)

i looked into a b&w license as thats all i had at the time but was told in some spool that it would be better in the long run to have a colour one?

sounds like bull but hey what can you do.

the price needs dropping and they may find people would bother buying one,they would still make their money as more (the dodgers) would buy one because it would be in the more acceptable price range thus less work/petrol/detector equipment ths saving even more money with less chasing about.

maybe im well off but the price doesnt justifie the actual crap programs we get for the money and they way i see it,if the product/service is boll*x then you have a right to say so its standard consumer rights or whatever:):)

well worth a go hehe

i think you only pay for bbc 1-2 and the rest is basically free view(or something like that?)but as it is now,if you have any tv connected to an indoor ariel then you have to pay unless you prove you are only using it to watch videos as i once phoned and was told that if they come and find an ariel they will fine you but i WAS watching vids as i saw tv channels as a waste of money cos of the low quality drival on telly and they said it was fine and to phone when i wanted a license for the ariel channels and all was fine(as long as your actaully doing what you claim)and not connecting an ariel.

bbc drives me mad and no decent fishing progs anymore.:(

sg

My understanding is you do not need a tv licence for any television being connected to a DVD player or VHS video recorder providing there is no ariel connected and there is no portable ariel which could be construed as being 'usable' nearby.

This is the loophole shops (including us shortly) can use to play commercial DVD's and Videos 'promoting' items without having to pay a TV licence.

Now, what you see on advertising is 'any device capable of receiving a signal...blah blah blah' however, I don't think legally that actually is true. If you can categorically prove you do not receive terrestrial, satellite or digital television then my understanding is you are in the clear.

Of course, Chesters is right - you can make use of the BBC's service without a TV - a computer for example. Then again - it's not called a BBC licence but a television licence SO my reckoning is they haven't got a leg to stand on legally if you wanted to watch 2 pints of lager online for example!

By the way ALL TV license bods scanning the net - I do have one for my house, fully paid up!!

See:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

The key is:

"If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one."

No ariel connected means no receive and no record, so you are in the clear. People used to think you had to break the tuner, but various people have queried this and it is definitely the case that no ariel is acceptable.

Ian W