Anyone interested in a Photography meet?

Steve Randles

I have recently organised and participated in a photo meet here in Cumbria for another forum I am a member at. This proved to be very popular and four cars where needed to transport those people around to the various "photo hotspots" along the organised route.

A pm from Colin Brett has spurred me into action to guage interest in such a thing here on AN, it seems he has been thinking along the same lines as me and has suggested a "photo meet" as a regular occurence on our calendar, at various locations up and down the country.

So, who would be interested in coming to the Lake district to photograph the gorgeous scenery on an organised route? It would probably be best in late autumn/early winter as we would have greater room to roam with fewer tourist's around to get in the frame.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jaybee
I have recently organised and participated in a photo meet here in Cumbria for another forum I am a member at. This proved to be very popular and four cars where needed to transport those people around to the various "photo hotspots" along the organised route.

A pm from Colin Brett has spurred me into action to guage interest in such a thing here on AN, it seems he has been thinking along the same lines as me and has suggested a "photo meet" as a regular occurence on our calendar, at various locations up and down the country.

So, who would be interested in coming to the Lake district to photograph the gorgeous scenery on an organised route? It would probably be best in late autumn/early winter as we would have greater room to roam with fewer tourist's around to get in the frame.

Would have loved to if I didn't have so many health issues - one f which is a blocked artery in leg which hampers my walking.

Good luck with it though.

A few are meeting up from my merry band on the phocus forum later in the year but geared around places I can manage to walk to.

Guest Jan V

Steve... :)

Great idea, Steve. So when are you all going to meet in North Carolina?

Great idea, Steve. So when are you all going to meet in North Carolina?

North Carolina!!

What a great idea! Count me in. Have you any dates in mind? :headhurt:

Can we go to the mountains where "The Last of the Mohicans" was filmed? IMHO some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen, sadly only on film. :blink:

Looking forward to receiving more details. :sun:

Colin :sun:

Guest Jan V
North Carolina!!

What a great idea! Count me in. Have you any dates in mind? :headhurt:

Can we go to the mountains where "The Last of the Mohicans" was filmed? IMHO some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen, sadly only on film. :blink:

Looking forward to receiving more details. :sun:

Colin :sun:

How about the Blue Ridge Parkway during Autumn colors, Colin. That would be so sweet!

Guest Finepix

Well I recently read a Bill Bryson book about the Apalachian (sp?) trail (it were bloomin' brilliant), so anywhere along there would do me :P

The airport at Charlotte (near us) offers direct flights to & from the UK and it is an easy jaunt from here to the Blue Ridge area.

Fall colors - the exact timing and the quality of it depends on weather because a wet summer really improves things but we could shoot for the time when it is generally the best. I can get more specifics but it should be some time in September.

The area is beyond spectacular and the Vails would love an excuse to spend a week roaming that area so if any of you do seriously think you could make it, we can firm up details. Anything from one other person to several dozen would be very workable.

In addition to the really great mountains, there are several of the old narrow-guage railroads still in operation (running steam driven trains) and it is a great way to see some of the area there that lacks automobile roads. The railroads are all used for tourists now and are very accomodating to photo buffs with stops designed to offer a wealth of subjects to shoot.

Finepix - I'm about finished with Bryson's book on his walking trip through the UK and the man does a really wonderful job of writing.

Steve - sorry about the hijack but if we get any interest, I'll split this into a new thread.

Here is a little sample of the Maggie Valley section via train.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Finepix
The airport at Charlotte (near us) offers direct flights to & from the UK and it is an easy jaunt from here to the Blue Ridge area.

Fall colors - the exact timing and the quality of it depends on weather because a wet summer really improves things but we could shoot for the time when it is generally the best. I can get more specifics but it should be some time in September.

The area is beyond spectacular and the Vails would love an excuse to spend a week roaming that area so if any of you do seriously think you could make it, we can firm up details. Anything from one other person to several dozen would be very workable.

In addition to the really great mountains, there are several of the old narrow-guage railroads still in operation (running steam driven trains) and it is a great way to see some of the area there that lacks automobile roads. The railroads are all used for tourists now and are very accomodating to photo buffs with stops designed to offer a wealth of subjects to shoot.

Finepix - I'm about finished with Bryson's book on his walking trip through the UK and the man does a really wonderful job of writing.

Steve - sorry about the hijack but if we get any interest, I'll split this into a new thread.

Here is a little sample of the Maggie Valley section via train.

I read that one approx ten years ago. I recently bought it again so will dip into it once I've finished the three books that I'm currently trying to finish!

Steve, as for a 'photo' meet up. I could be persuaded. From where I live it would mean getting a train up and staying over in a b&b ( or pub :yeah: ) so I'd have to look into the logistics etc... (and persuading the OH that it's a great idea and well worth the money :o:unsure: )

I've only briefly touched the Lakes though and would truly love to visit properly.

:)

I was planning to arrange it with the base being Keswick, plenty of b&b's there from around £20 per night upwards, local food is very good and reasonably priced and good selection of local ales too.

The scenery is simply stunning as most of you know from my photos that have been posted here before, but really need to be viewed in person to appreciate the grandeur of it. On the photo meet that I organised for another forum there where non photographic partners who came along for the ride and everyone enjoyed the day, the scenery and fresh air.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet