Anyone interested in a Photography meet?

Steve Randles

I'd be up for it Steve & I'm sure my good lady would come along. We were in the lakes walking just over a week ago, I wouldn't have minded picking your brains then re. how you get such terrific landscape shots. It's only an hours drive for us, but a night in a B&B sounds good, an evening meal & a few pints etc etc.

Cheers :drunk:

Cliff

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit too far for me I think, best part of 350 miles. :(

Must be over 40 years since I've been to the Lakes, I remember staying in a cottage at Cockley Beck, in between Hardknott and Wrynose passes, spent most of my time opening the gate on the road for motorists and made a small fortune at about a tanner a time. :icecream:

It would be useful to know where we all are, just in case we can share journeys. EG If I come up to the lakes I'll have 2 spare seats and travelling A14 from Cambridge via M6 passing Birmingham.

Share some of the costs to pay Gordon's petrol tax.

£1.049 today in the Fens needless to say didn't stop. Tesco is £0.979 at Bar Hill nr Cambridge.

Colin

The airport at Charlotte (near us) offers direct flights to & from the UK and it is an easy jaunt from here to the Blue Ridge area.

Fall colors - the exact timing and the quality of it depends on weather because a wet summer really improves things but we could shoot for the time when it is generally the best. I can get more specifics but it should be some time in September.

The area is beyond spectacular and the Vails would love an excuse to spend a week roaming that area so if any of you do seriously think you could make it, we can firm up details. Anything from one other person to several dozen would be very workable.

In addition to the really great mountains, there are several of the old narrow-guage railroads still in operation (running steam driven trains) and it is a great way to see some of the area there that lacks automobile roads. The railroads are all used for tourists now and are very accomodating to photo buffs with stops designed to offer a wealth of subjects to shoot.

Here is a little sample of the Maggie Valley section via train.

Fishing included??

Colin

Fishing included??

Does a bear have fur and fleas?

There is a good lake not too far from my house that is known for a good population of largish buffalo (50lbs not uncommon and 80lbs on occasion). The best places to set up need a boat to reach but my boat will easily carry 5-6 people + gear and I could make several trips without any problems.

Fall is the best time for catching them too, as luck would have it.

The area isn't as spectacular as the mountains but is very pretty and any who don't like fishing would have miles of pretty country for photos.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Anyone want to come to little old Adelaide, we have Koalas and Kangaroos!?

I am actually planning to come to the UK possibly later in the year if Mike Oldfield tours the Country, so if anything coincides I'll be in it but I'll probably just have to sit here and live vicariously through you lot. Have fun!

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Guest Finepix
Does a bear have fur and fleas?

There is a good lake not too far from my house that is known for a good population of largish buffalo (50lbs not uncommon and 80lbs on occasion). The best places to set up need a boat to reach but my boat will easily carry 5-6 people + gear and I could make several trips without any problems.

Fall is the best time for catching them too, as luck would have it.

The area isn't as spectacular as the mountains but is very pretty and any who don't like fishing would have miles of pretty country for photos.

Your slowly reeling me in Newt ....................................... :)

Anyone want to come to little old Adelaide, we have Koalas and Kangaroos!?

That would be awesome. Someday I hope to make the trip.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Bryson lived in the UK for nearly 20 years starting as a very young adult and it is obvious from his book that he dearly loves the place.

It is also pretty evident that he has a very interesting writing style so at a guess, when he writes about the US he has insults that are so accurate and so funny that I'd be laughing too hard to be upset.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Quite possibly interested in trip to Cumbria, as infrequent visitors to area we normally manage to get there about once every couple of years anyway.

Plenty of caravan sites in area, so will be bringing that and of course my better half as we rarely go anywhere on own.

Now we need some provisional dates please Steve.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.