Her we go . . . !

Guest Silver Back

Your point about the ebb being better makes sense Cliff. In hindsight, I wish I'd got up early on Friday and fished the ebb. We got to our mark for the last of the ebb and there was still some push in it. The first of the flood had a bit, but became feeble after the first hour. The rest of the day was a waste of time really, although it was nice to get out at last and have a couple of fish. Next weeks tides should produce better numbers of fish.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah!

Having regularly emptied a 52 litre fuel tank of unleaded on a 17 footer, your talking to the wrong guy Cliff. ;):D

The motor is usually on or off, don't much care for the middle bit. :P

Peddle to the metal, eh! nearly 50 quids worth :huh:

:blink: A point just stuck me, here we are, sitting high and mighty, judging all and sundry, shouting about conservation etc??? and yet we witness it every trip, 50 quids worth of petrol X goodness knows how many boats around the country, X how many day, adding to greenhouse gasses??? I'm a Cabbie and only use that much in a week!

Not pointing at you personally 'Sharkbyte', the penny has just dropped, fast boat are so inefficient! :yucky::wallbash:

Time for a re think :g::thumbdown: . . . who's going to run with, and justify this one?

:ph34r:

The thing is Cliff, for most of us, owning a small boat is the only option. Having owned small slow and small fast boats, the fast boat is the better and safer option. Unfortunately, the large outboards required to power such boats are juicy. Unless you can afford the new four strokes or new breed two strokes like the evinrude E Tech, both of which are pretty expensive, the fuel cost is something we just have to put up with. When you weigh the cost of fuel against mooring fees, etc, the small boat is still the cheaper option by far.

As you know, I'd love a bigger boat even if it meant buying a plodder, but the cost of buying it in the first place plus keeping it in a marina would be too much for me to afford. So I make the best of what I can afford, and enjoy the benefits that it has over a bigger boat on a mooring. Freedom to fish whatever area I like, and the speed to get to and from marks quickly are definate benefits. It's only really comfort that we miss out on, but we are talking fishing boats here.

I have a couple of patio chairs on my boat which are quite comfortable :thumbs: , I'm thinking of putting the table and umbrella on it as well :D:clap:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Ah but when you go fast and the exhaust runs out through the prop, the algae absorbs all the Co2.

;)

No you are right Cliff, they can be very inefficient especially the 2 strokes. As it happens we will be running at a more leisurely pace as an experiment next time we're out.

Muttleys Explorer Elite and the four stroke Merc will do 56 miles on 10leters.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

The thing is Cliff, for most of us, owning a small boat is the only option. Having owned small slow and small fast boats, the fast boat is the better and safer option. Unfortunately, the large outboards required to power such boats are juicy. Unless you can afford the new four strokes or new breed two strokes like the evinrude E Tech, both of which are pretty expensive, the fuel cost is something we just have to put up with. When you weigh the cost of fuel against mooring fees, etc, the small boat is still the cheaper option by far.

As you know, I'd love a bigger boat even if it meant buying a plodder, but the cost of buying it in the first place plus keeping it in a marina would be too much for me to afford. So I make the best of what I can afford, and enjoy the benefits that it has over a bigger boat on a mooring. Freedom to fish whatever area I like, and the speed to get to and from marks quickly are definate benefits. It's only really comfort that we miss out on, but we are talking fishing boats here.

I have a couple of patio chairs on my boat which are quite comfortable :thumbs: , I'm thinking of putting the table and umbrella on it as well :D:clap:

Umbrella? go fast enough Steve, you will take off :lol::lol: !!!

I see the point entirely mate, however, it does beg the question, 'are we are being selective over our green conservation thinking'? I have not got an answer (that any one will like). I am not pointing the finger, its just that the penny dropped from the fishing point of view. I suppose its the same as, the recent finger pointed at the holiday industry, and how we crack on about 'green conservation issues' and then jump on an airplane (one of the worst poluters I understand?) without a second thought.

So its not just fast boats, but we are tied to the fact, whether we like it or not? Get some one who really wanted to stir the mud??? Back to canvas and rope?

The point certainly makes me think, burning 50 quids worth of fuel in one session could be constrewed as immoral as taking half a dozen 36cm bass in a session insted of two at 45cm+? As I say, I'm is not pointing the finger, but it does make me think, 'what the hell'! I put back a sizable female roka on Saturday, a futile gesture me thinks, if I consider the wider issues. I'm doing me'e bit, and yet others are pleasing them selves when it suits, under our noses!

This is how they used to do it in the good old days, no engine, this is a restored Brixham built 'beam sailing trawler' came into the Stour the other day and anchored up within 100 yards on where we were fishing. Very impresive, she was too.

salingtrawlerRW.jpg

:ph34r:

Ah but when you go fast and the exhaust runs out through the prop, the algae absorbs all the Co2.

;)

No you are right Cliff, they can be very inefficient especially the 2 strokes. As it happens we will be running at a more leisurely pace as an experiment next time we're out.

Yes mate, I realy think this and other issues realy do need carfull and serious consideration. Plus the fact when you think in terms of a pound a litre, its a sobering thought. Thats burning money!!! Re thinking green is the way.

Sam, your mate and his Explorer, sounds good to me. What size engine is on the Exporer, at what speed will that cruise?

Cliff

We (that's me and her) run a Duver 23 picture here . It's a compromise between a boat for just fishing and something we can go away in for a few days. It has two berths, heads, small galley, 240v generator and mod cons that go with it. Fishing space has been sacrificed for leisure space, so if we take a friend along for a days fishing, we normally take just one, two is a squeeze. We normally run at 8-9 knots, with our small (74HP) 6cyl diesel this is about a gallon and a half an hour (7 litres for the metric minded). I am in in the lucky position of having a friend who supplies me with all the red I need and I could run everywhere flat out (10-12knots depending on weight, @ 2 gallons an hour) but choose to take life in the slower lane. We took a run out to the Barrows today that's a 22Nm run, each way for us. From Gillingham it's about 2¾ Hrs each way, but breakfast is cooked, on route, the wheelhouse is warm, and the music is good listening.

By the way, we had it away with the roker today, loads of them, fun all day. none over 10lb though, and everyone returned. Well worth the journey.

As far as my fuel consumption and the environment goes, I have no guilt at all. When a single jet aircraft can use 30,000 Gallons flying from heathrow to the USA AND it might come back the same day AND there's dozens of them doing this trip. Then my diesel usage AND the diesel fuel usage of every car driver in this country is insignificant. If your flying away on your hols this year you should hold your head in shame. But don't worry too much because people like me and Cliff are plodding along at 7 litres an hour trying to make up for your lavish use of fuel. cleverman.gif