Smallest Pond You Have Fished

Guest rabbit

plenty of roadside ponds (most have gone now but these were very thick on the ground for watering horses and steam engines in the past) most under 20ft dia ,most had fish! some very nice.

when i lived in folkestone a mate and i scoured hi res maps for blue dots ,most times the farmer said "baint no fish in ther" and let us try most times they were wrong ;)

most have now probably overgrown as farming has been in decline for decades but no doupt theres still plenty for the map enthusiast to find but without regular maintenance (or cattle stomping about) they turn to marshes or cover in reeds and silt up.

village ponds also have promise but theres a trend of cleaning them up turning them into "pretty" but sterile bits of water that take years to naturalise never mind have fish again.

theres not many around here! on sand and in woods they quickly turn into lifeless mosquito breeding ponds the water as black as night

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a pool in the Northern Territory about 30 miles south of Kunnunurra. There are many such, most dry up in the southern summer.

The photo is taken from what in the "Wet" is a waterfall.

oz22007039ro8.jpg

These are a great source of bush tucker, as they are swarming with "Spangled Perch" or more correctly, Spangled Grunter. A Size 0 Mepps produces a fish a chuck, which are delicious when grilled.

oz22007035pq9.jpg

This is what the pool produced.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Lavender pond in SE London, now an urban nature reserve.

The panaroma here is shot from the exact spot we used to fish from as kids. used to catch loads of tiny tench, all about 4" long, along with the occasional small perch, and even more occasional crucian!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/panora...ender_360.shtml

Mat

Mat

Smallest Pond I have ever Fished is a small pond in Hurstwood (Burnley) known as the "Perch Pond" only about 3 pegs you can fish from...

Has alot of Perch (thats why locals call it the Perch Pond). I have caught a few decent perch to 2lb. Very nice pond in the middle of some woods.

There must be other fish in there though !!

Here is a Pic of it... a little frozen lol

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7443154

Matt

I love to find small places around my area and chuck a line in. I recently heard of a public park near me with 5 small ponds, I pulled my PB carp out of there at 13.5lbs. I am very much assured there are bigger carp in there up to 30lb, the best bit is it also holds a lovely head of Tench and roach. I have had several tench now up to 5lb.

This spot used to contain a monastery and stocked with their friday fish.

I just love the fact that its free to fish and not too well known.

I have a few days off work soon and I have already spotted some small ponds/lakes so I will be knocking on some doors to ask if I can fish them.

One Easter, about 17-18 years ago, I went fishing with a now deceased friend of mine (also called Andy) to Rannoch Moor, for a bit of wild broonie fishing. We fished Loch Rannoch, the River Gaur, Loch Eigheach, Loch Laidon and various other lochans and dribbles. Andy showed me a puddle beside the railway viaduct at Rannoch Station, which I believe is called Clayton's Pool. Who Clayton is, I don't know but anyway, the pool is maybe 30m/sq. I thought I was being wound up when I saw it but I cast a lobworm into it and my bait could barely have touched the bottom when my rod wrapped round and I struck. I'd never felt a pull like this and for maybe 10 seconds I had something very big on and just like that, my line parted. I never got to see what it was but I was assured there were no pike in it. I'd like to think it was an ancient sulking Ferox but I'll never know.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...