Anglers Blamed for Endangered Fish Stocks

Leon Roskilly

No responsible sea angler would have any objection to bag limits being imposed as long as protection from the equally localised, commercial over-exploitation of other stocks is also put in place.

Maybe someone should come up with a paltry figure representing the proportion of all the Channel flatty stock inhabiting these localised marks. About 0.02% should be enough to preserve the status quo, where upon we can tell them to stick their concerns where the sun doesn't shine. A sarcastic suggestion but definitely one with some mileage for those wishing to **** off the 'Pirates of the Boue Blondel'.

Bloody hypocrites.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ken

If things are as bad as you say why has this issue not been mentioned along with the bass over fishing before. Surely if they board the boats and they find the kind of figures you quote an action would follow even if it was only in the form of a press release.

But is it over fishing or just good fishing?

Hi Wurzle,

As I see it if the figures were correct then those involved could no longer be regarded as RSAs as their catch would exceed the commercial quotas by a very large margine.

Again if the figures are correct no one could doubt their angling abilities or their stamina, to say they don't fight is not true, the ones I have contacted with always give a good account of themselves on reasonable tackle.

Lastly I don't believe the statement that trawlers do not target Turbot, if that were true they would not be making a fuss about an issue which would have no effect on their income.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hello Ken

As I see it if the figures were correct then those involved could no longer be regarded as RSAs as their catch would exceed the commercial quotas by a very large margine.

I am not sure the quota for turbot and brill was exceeded, With out checking I don't know what my monthly quota is, I do know I am not likly to ever exceed it, I do know that in this area the "need to manage brigade" use brill and turbot quota to swap for sole quota with other countrys, which is what quotas is all about realy, a comodity that can be traded.

Lastly I don't believe the statement that trawlers do not target Turbot, if that were true they would not be making a fuss about an issue which would have no effect on their income.

Turbot and brilll are a very welcome part of any commercial catch, most fishermen know where they can fish and are likely to catch them, in some areas they can target them , but I think this is a point scoreing exercise more than anything else.

I fish to live and live to fish.

wtr2

Pipelines baron in Scotland? How do you know? Name me one boat out of Whitby that has been able to take the chance and fish the pipe lines of Scotland as you call them.

There are thousands of miles of pipeline in the North Sea. We tow on and off them all time.

How do you know they are baron? 90% of the boats that use to fish them have been decommissioned.

Very greedy and very needy often go hand in hand when you talk about commercial fishing. Hunger is a strange thing and when you have tasted hardship it takes a very ruthless hold on the way you think. Ill let you work that out for yourself.

I think you have a big problem with seals that is destroying what is left of your hobby much more than commercial fishing is doing. That’s my thoughts on the matter. Boat fishing (angling) is doing ok, they have not had the decline on the same scale at sea that you have had on the shore if you know what I mean. Or have they?

Binitone you say you are commercial fishing sorry mate,there is none or very little fish left on the pipes in the uk sector there is one boat out of whitby fishing pipes and they are doing exceptionally well in fact i think they landed 480 boxes for there trip but they are not fishing any pipes in the uk sector they are working in the norwegian sector forties ,brent .judy , they have all been well over fished over the years and they are not recovering.

You can take as many boats out as you like things wont improve overnight i is going to take many years .

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

To Show a contrast to the Guernsey boats and show what can be done with the correct will, I had all three boats out yesterday for our first trip of the season down here, with parties from Scotland, England and Japan

Each boat caught in excess of a hundred Pollack and i had an hour offshore which produced 9 species not including Mackerel or doggies and the only thing that came a shore from 12 anglers was three Herring left out of the bait bucket.

Two of these parties were new business and were told in advance all fish must be returned and they were happy to book the boat with that understanding. It's all about education

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ill say it again-imposing bag limits for anglers will have NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on fish stocks the damage (whether irreversable or not it remains to be seen)has already been done by HORSEPOWER-not only to the fish but also to the ground. Added to that a quota system that means if i caught a great big cod on my muppet just for sport and let it swim away alive and kicking the chances are it will be caught within days if it stays on the ground by a trawler and if no quota for it is left it should be thrown back dead-along with a few hundred of its offspring presumably.So whos doing (done)the damage???

Anglers do effect fish stocks even if only at a very local level.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Ill say it again-imposing bag limits for anglers will have NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on fish stocks the damage (whether irreversable or not it remains to be seen)has already been done by HORSEPOWER-not only to the fish but also to the ground. Added to that a quota system that means if i caught a great big cod on my muppet just for sport and let it swim away alive and kicking the chances are it will be caught within days if it stays on the ground by a trawler and if no quota for it is left it should be thrown back dead-along with a few hundred of its offspring presumably.So whos doing (done)the damage???

Anglers do effect fish stocks even if only at a very local level.

110% correct if anybody thinks rod and line bag limits will make any difference what so ever is well misinformed.

You must get mesh size right on the codend to save the dwindlings stocks before its to late.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
110% correct if anybody thinks rod and line bag limits will make any difference what so ever is well misinformed.

You must get mesh size right on the codend to save the dwindlings stocks before its to late.

And what size would that be then big cod????