Boxing Day Predators

The Flying Tench

Well, the predator anglers were doubtless out yesterday, as were the huntsmen for foxes. But is there a difference in attitude? When i catch a pike I sometimes think 'You're a mean brute' but I still treat it with respect and try to avoid causing it any pain etc, and actually feel sorry for it if there's any blood, for example, when I take the hooks out. I'm sure most anglers are the same. But what's the attitude of the huntsmen when they see a fox destroyed by the hounds? Do they think 'Serves it right' or 'Sad but necessary' or what? Does anyone have friends in the hunting fraternity who can shed light on this?

john clarke

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

I would say aaaah shame about that poor old or injured fox but this will save you a long suffering death from starvation.

Plus it will teach you a lesson for getting into the chicken pen and slaughtering all my old fellas hens. :)

I think the fox is a beautiful animal but is also a pest that should be controlled.

Same as badgers, far to many of them about now.

We don't see many culls in this country do we?

How would you feel about not being allowed to put a signal cray back in to the river if you caught one?

Or if you found an injured squirrel, nurse it back to health and set it free?

Not allowed!!!

The Flying Tench:

But what's the attitude of the huntsmen when they see a fox destroyed by the hounds?

I doubt wether many huntsmen actualy get to see the fox destroyed..........they are normally such crap horsemen that they are miles behind or most I come across are just to drunk to see any way! Surely there must be some law about being drunk whilst in control of a horse? especially on public roads/land etc?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There is a fairly even devide on AN John. My feelings, I think, are in line with yours, but we only account for two! I guess that its about 55/45 in favour of the fox, with both sides sincerely believing that they are right!

This Christmas just past I got a really nice Xmas card from 'Hunt Supporters Everywhere'. No address so I couldn't send them one in return. Pity, it was a nice card.

Yes, I do have friends who hunt. Their feeling is that it is their way of life and why should anyone prevent them doing it. I do sympathise, not that I agree.

[ 27. December 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I'd have to guess at a 3-way opinion split.

Against fox hunting with dogs (largest single category probably)

For fox hunting with dogs (quite a few)

Could care less (quite a few)

Most likely result if you could get totals is the two 'quite a few' groups would add up to slightly more than the total against.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm in the 'it's nothing to do with me, so I keep my nose out' category. If the foxes were killing my livestock I'd be hunting but I don't have any stock so I won't. I do think that the hunt is embedded in our history much in the same way as angling is. It's not as though it happens every day or we are decimating the fox population to extinction like we are the cod or almost have with the herring. I just think this government ought to address proper issues and leave occasional country pursuits alone :mad:

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

I think John Ellison has hit the nail right on the head. I've no interest in hunting, and I happen to think the fox is a beautiful creature that I wouldn't dream of harming in any way.

HOWEVER... I fiercely oppose a Government that wastes its time on forcing through this Act on a clear basis of class spite, gleeful in the knowledge that they are upsetting gentry/countryfolk.

This has little to do with preventing cruelty. If so, they would concentrate on factory farming, which is truly disgusting.

But the fact is, there are much more important issues for Government to concentrate on... instead of Nannying us all.

Sorry to be controversial - and I didn't think I'd ever have to say this - but any angler who votes Labour is signing the death warrant for his own sport. I bitterly regret voting Labour back in 1997 and will never do so again.

Please don't make me laugh by saying "there are too many anglers" for the Government to legislate against us. If there are, say, 3 million of us in this country, then there are 60 million non-anglers.

Government thinking is done by the chattering classes in trendy dinner parties and bars in Islington. And you can bet that they despise angling.

Just wait and see.

Fenboy

I'm really with John E and Fenboy on the overall issue, but my question was what the hunting folk feel when they see a fox destroyed by hounds. I take Budgie's point that a lot of them don't see it, but they must sometimes. It struck me a week or two ago when I caught a pike which struck me as a mean-looking brute, and as I put it back in the water it occurred to me what respect, almost love, most anglers have for the fish. Imagining myself in a hunt, I could cope with seeing the fox shot, but not torn apart by hounds. It then made me wonder what the attitude of the huntsmen is - hate, indifference or what?

Dave's attitude may be what many of them feel. That may be the answer.

john clarke

I think the point is that hunting hasn't really got a great deal to do with pest control or killing. It's more a countryside social occasion where horsey folk get together for a brisk gallop across the countryside. More a tradition than anything else. And that's what those mean-minded politicans were so keen to stamp out.

As Budgie pointed out, most don't get to witness the kill. They're not really interested.

But I must take issue with you on one thing, Budgie - and that's the drunk in charge of a horse business. I've yet to hear of an accident, fatal or otherwise, caused by a huntsman while under the influence of alcohol. So why should there be legislation drawn up to prevent this (non-existent) "problem".

I'm sorry, Budgie - nothing personal - but that's the mentality of the Government... banning things when there isn't any evidence of them causing any serious problem in the first place.

And it's exactly THAT sort of mentality that will eventually get angling banned.

The problem here is tolerance, or rather lack of it. The UK populace has become so small-minded that everybody wants to see laws passed against everything they don't understand or agree with, overlooking the rights of the people who just happen to have a contrary view.

Anyone else remember the days when eccentricy was a valued trait among the British? When eccentricty was something you smiled about, and certainly didn't try try to outlaw?

Everyone is so PC these days. They go with the crowd and ignore the real issues that are turning this country into a really nasty, mean-minded place to live in.

It's also a country of double standards. In recent weeks I've been staggered by the David Blunkett saga as it unfolded. Let's forget the salacious elements of the story and concentrate on just one: the fraudulent use of a first class rail warrant by his lover.

Once caught out, Blunkett offered to refund the £180-odd. And that was apparently okay. Mr Blair wants him back in the cabinet asap.

How come? He was guilty of theft. And as Home Secretary he was in charge of law and order. It's an insane situation.

If I'd been caught out stealing in my place of employment, to the tune of £180, I would have been sacked for gross misconduct. I expect virtually everyone on this forum would suffer the same fate.

We are suffering a corrupt Government... and a populist one that will have no hesitation in banning angling if it keeps the right-on luvvies happy.

The frustrating thing to me is that most people seem to be turning a blind eye to what's going on. In my opinion, an angler voting this shower in again is akin to turkeys voting for Christmas.

Fenboy