Flavourings

singy

So in terms of adding flavourings to bait, I would have thought dipping them in flavouring would mean that it would quickly wash off?

Are we talking injecting them or using feeders instead?

I did wonder about blending up some old bait, and freezing it in cubes to somehow attach to my line. Was going to try and carry them in an old thermos flask?

Suggestions more than welcome!!

B.A.S.S. member

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need something to hold the flavour - my plan when I eventually get back out there is to have something like a film cannister with holes in, or a coarse fishing swimfeeder, stuffed with cotton wool, sponge or similar, and soaked in flavourings. That way it should leak nice smells for a while longer than it would if just dobbed on the bait.

[ 20. October 2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Salar ]

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I have seen a diagram for a film cannister full of holes, fill with mashed herring, and you have a lot of natural fish oil drifting downtide. I tried it, but had a problem with stopping it sliding up over the stop under the force of casting. perhaps i was trying to cast it too far. Maybe it should be used for those gentle 70 yard lobs for close in fishing in rough weather for Cod.

when things go a bit quiet in the bristol channel, say around high or low water, or just on a bad day, i have squirted my bait with wd40, this is a proven attractor, especially for larger cod, it really does work as i have witnessed many times.

I have heard this before, some anglers put it on lures! I have made some 'baits' out of felt. I am going to try impregnating them with different substances. Just cut bait size strips of felt, and soak them for a few days in something! It's worth a try. They never come off the hook. Could be a cheap bait if it works.

Oil of Aniseed should be available from chemists.

Cheaper than Pernod!

I'll say it again: Cod liver oil capsules!

[ 21. October 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

How do you stop the flavouring being washed off the bait too quickly?

A couple of strips of sponge, impregnated with the flavouring and lashed to the bait with elastic?

I used to stuff eddystone eels (the old rubber tubing jobs) with bits of sponge full of cod liver oil. It seemed to work.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Nice replys guys :)

I have many flavours/oils etc from carp fishing. Some I'll be playing with over the winter codding will be salmon oil (lovely rich oil) powdered squid and octopus adn maybe even n-butyric acid (this stuff is 100s of times more detectable to the human nose than amonia, It stinks)

All liquids will be injected into the baits and I'll probably make a solution of the powders.

Fingers crossed, My first trip is in December so I'll let you know how we get on. :)

Paul Singleton