UK Knife Regulations

Newt

This is basically fishing related so posting the question here.

I would prefer to spend my time in the UK fishing and visiting rather than inside a jail cell so I want to stay within local regulations.

What are the blade length requirements for folding and fixed blade knives? Also, are there any other 'carry' rules I should be aware of?

My best folding fishing knife (cutting blade, hook remover, hook sharpener on the outside of the handle) has a 3.5" blade but I do have smaller ones if this would be too large.

If you want a pretty definitive answer to your question go to this link. Many of the FAQ's are answered factually by lawyers and lawmen. It is the foremost British forum for knives and knife makers.

British Blades

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beachlover - welcome to the forum and thank you for that link. On my way out now but will spend some time reading it in a few hours.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There were 3 knife related murders in Glasgow/Port Glasgow over the weekend, so I'm well aware how easy it is. One incident happened not 10 minutes walk from my front door, outside a pub I sometimes frequent.

Only 5 minutes from the same pub, several years ago, I was slashed and mauled with a broken bottle, which was pretty surreal but I lived and thankfully I don't have much gore to show for it. It's a sad fact that a good number of men/boys I know have been or nearly been stabbed/slashed and the sad part is, everyone thinks this is quite normal. Eve worse is the lengths Glaswegian men will go to in order to avoid a stabbing. the usual reaction to any kind of heat, is to "get him before gets you"..... :angry:

It's crap.

Many moons ago when I was a fit young lad and lived in Glasgow my friends and I were assembling on Glasgow Green to run the marathon. One of us was missing. Turned out that some thug had stuck a knife into his guts on Partick road. He was very lucky to survive.

From what I hear more and more neds are carrying guns these days. Gun crime in some areas of Glasgow / Edinbugh is getting pretty wild.

We like to fight like men. Guns are for lassies and soft southerners.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

beachlover Once again, thank you. Most enlightening.

The entire "locking blade" part came as a total surprise. In the US it is getting difficult to find a folding knife larger than a penknife that does not have a locking mechinism for the blade.

The ones that will just fold up on you if you aren't careful never seemed particularly safe to me and I was really happy when the design change was made.

Can anyone help me out with the thinking behind this particular rule?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

beachlover Once again, thank you. Most enlightening.

The entire "locking blade" part came as a total surprise. In the US it is getting difficult to find a folding knife larger than a penknife that does not have a locking mechinism for the blade.

The ones that will just fold up on you if you aren't careful never seemed particularly safe to me and I was really happy when the design change was made.

Can anyone help me out with the thinking behind this particular rule?

You answered that perfectly yourself. How can you successfully stab someone repeatedly, if the blade folds up on you eh? Why you'd nick your fingers and that could hurt.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Andy Macfarlane

why do most of you lot wear skirts then? :lol:

We like to keep cool when we're playing the bagpipes, sword dancing or hunting haggis/cheeky sassenachs....... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Andy Macfarlane

why do most of you lot wear skirts then? :lol:

Sheep get nervous at the sound of a zip :):)<_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/