st bees head

dingle

Evening.. :):)

Well after getting the kids to help me dig some bait on saturday afternoon (they love it, next time I'll have to give them a spade!!) managed to get on the water around 5ish for a few hours. During the day there was little to no wind but as ususal as soon as you put paddle to water it starts to blow. Anyhow fishing on the drift of south head saw a nice dab for the effort. One thing for sure it pays to keep an eye out all around you as looking at the fishfinder and rod tip I was surprised how far I had drifted out!! At this point a few white horses started showing so it was time to find the shelter of the bay. Messed about with the anchor and soon realised I needed a winder. I don't think I could tie that many knots if I wanted to!!

Sunday again looked promising so I was on the water a little earlier. Had a quick chat with a sea kayaker who informed me that once you get past the breakers its ok. Well the law of sod stuck again and after waiting for a break in the waves. Manged to jump on the yak and straight over the other side in to the briney..

Again paddled out to the caves on the south head and anchored up (after making a winder from poly pipe) In no time Manged another flattie and a decent doggie (so much for blanking!!! hooray!) The weather though started to close so I thought it best to come in. The surf was awesome breaking cleanly. It was also on the large side too, when you were in a trough you couldn't see the beach. Had a quick chat with a play boater just before the breakers formed before saying sod it here we go!! Crikey it was like having a boot up the backside but a bit more fun!! Hell did I come in quick - but no wipeout!!

Great couple of sessions and Ive christened the yak with a few fish..roll on next time!

On the down side though after washin all the kit down, checked the radio over a Silva 12 and when I press the on button the RX/TX light comes on and it won't respond to any amount of buitton pressing even trying to turn it off. After a while 3-4min ish the light goes off and it turns off (after i have been pressing the on off button mind you) any ideas. Low battery perhaps..

Cheers

Dingle

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dingle.

Sounds like you had a enjoyable couple of days on the water.

Re the S12, if its still under warrenty try and send it back, and ask for a refund.

I had the same radio, also had simular problems as you, but fixed mine with a hammer :D

Very dissapointed with it.

Now looking to buy a different type.

Good luck with it.

Bill. :)

Cheers bill,

Yep its still under warranty I think I may have to give the shop a bell.

Hi Dingle, glad you got out mate :):):)

I only managed to get out with the fishing gear today (Sunday) The sea was oily calm and beautiful I had watched a seal messing about in selkar bay in the morning when I noticed Gannets diving like mad!. I was too late to get out in the morning but got out at 5ish and paddled out towards the kelp bed. My gps wouldn't lock on for some reason but I stumbled (drifted) accross it anyway as I know roughly where it is!.

I had played in that surf on Saturday (whew) it was pretty swelly here, but great fun practicing getting in / out through the surf. But today....perfik!!. :) There were a few rollers on the way back at 9pm but got through after nearly wiping earlier by taking my eye off the ball when the finder sounded! Didn't tip though :yeah:

I only used lures so no flatties, but I got a huge knock and the rod jerked away, I struck and seemed to hook it but it was a jiggler and managed to get off!!~~~~bugger!~~~~ It seemed a fair weight so better luck next time :P There were a fair few on the finder!! I enjoyed every minute of it though, it was a really calm chilling experience...MORE to come..

Heres a few phone pics (scuse quality!)

Best regards~~~~tight lines~~~~~~~SDD :sun:

I reckon the kelp bed I was on is about a mile and a half out, at a guess! A very easy paddle from the beach mate so we will have to do a time at St Bees and a time here Dingle :):):)

Hi SDD,

Sounds like you had a bit of fun too!! The sea certainly looked calm!!I have noticed that round here the wind tends to drop in the evening, so perhaps I should go in a bit and wait it out? but I suppose it pays to be a little cautious especially on the first few trips out.

Next trip planned is wednesday evening, weather looks calm and it gives me a chance to dig some bait tomorrow. Always up for some company so if you fancy it?

If not, I do like the idea of alternate trips its a good chance to try somewhere new. Also perhaps you might fancy meeting up halfway perhaps Drigg or Ravensglass or somwhere around there any ideas?

Just give us a shout!!!

Cheers

Dingle

Hi SDD,

Sounds like you had a bit of fun too!! The sea certainly looked calm!!I have noticed that round here the wind tends to drop in the evening, so perhaps I should go in a bit and wait it out? but I suppose it pays to be a little cautious especially on the first few trips out.

Next trip planned is wednesday evening, weather looks calm and it gives me a chance to dig some bait tomorrow. Always up for some company so if you fancy it?

If not, I do like the idea of alternate trips its a good chance to try somewhere new. Also perhaps you might fancy meeting up halfway perhaps Drigg or Ravensglass or somwhere around there any ideas?

Just give us a shout!!!

Cheers

Dingle

Hi SDD,

Just give us a shout!!!

Cheers

Dingle

Hi mate :) It wont let me add a reply on the tread for "St Bees" !!! Typed 2 long replies(took ages ha ha) but both never appeared :( Trying PM you hope this works!! Can't make Weds (overtime :( but fancy a trip to your neck of the woods at weekend if you can make it?? Let me know if this PM works! (bloody computers :angry: ) Cheers~~~~Dave :sun:

Use to love goin to my mums chalet on the cumbrian coast near St Bees lovely place that its actually does look like someones head

Pygocentrus Piraya

Use to love goin to my mums chalet on the cumbrian coast near St Bees lovely place that its actually does look like someones head

Hi Big Tinca :) Come up and fish with us mate!! :sun:

Would be a right blast from the past for you :):):)

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

i'll definitely be up in the next couple of months and would love to join you guys. Just a suggestion Dingle but as a lad fishing the heads I always had most luck at low water casting less than 30yds out in the kelp etc.

Would have thought anchoring the yak on the sand and fishing this same area at High would be productive??

Ok Prowler 13