Tope Trip Wales

SpeciMan

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I'm looking forward to meeting up with all you yakkers who are planning to come up to try for some Tope, however I'd like to point out that this mark is very exposed to the weather and can be a very dodgy bit of water on even the most benign of days, with fast tides boiling over the top of the reef and with wind against tide can be uncomfortable.

I don't want anybody thinking that the smooth seas on the day of our success are typical of what it is normally like and I'm sure Phooey will agree with me that the Saturday and Sunday were slightly more lumpy and the conditions, as anywhere, can change in minutes leaving you with a damp paddle home at best and if the waves build up over the reef a pretty scary ride :o We were approached on the Sunday by the local lifeboat who were keen to impress on us that when the tide started running in earnest we would be wise to leave as with a s/w wind against the tide, a 2m swell was likely within a short time.

For all you lads travelling a long way, I would hate for you to be dissapointed, so am saying this now and be prepared maybe for a fish for something else in the estuary if need be :)

We were lucky last week with the weather and the surf on the beach but it wasn't typical.

nifty. :)

I am quite used to being blown off whilst on a fishing trip. Items I will take to ensure a good weekend are a carp rod for shore spinning and some light beach kit if the surf is up. Oh and plenty of liquid refreshment :sun:

If all else fails I will just catch up on some sleep as I have a mad two weeks in work beforehand.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Zzippy, GB,

The estuary is a Bass nursery area so I'm not going to advise anyone to fish intentionally for them from the yak although you will be hard pressed to avoid them on bait or lure/fly. There is a good head of decent flounder though and a baited spoon approach works well there. If you fish from the shore on the beaches flanking the estuary then there are Turbot,Smalleyed Ray, Bass and Dogs so maybe chuck in a spinning rod and light beach/Bass rod.

Option three is compulsory whatever the weather :D

nifty :):drunk:

Yeah, those carp and their big rubbery lips... (Oh come on! you didn't really expect that to pass unnoticed

DOH!! Asked for that one did'nt I :headhurt:

Did someone mention Turbot, I'm all ears.

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

OK,

Just tried to do quick tally on who is coming for the 10th...other than me of course... not sure if this right so how about a quick show of hands:

Simon Everett & George

SpeciMan

Zzippy

richi

phooey

Starvinmarvin

GB

darnsarf

HungryFisherman

Hake

Nifty

Martin Hurst

Paintfly - hopefully

ShyTangler - ?

Any others?

Edited by spanner

OK,

Just tried to do quick tally on who is coming for the 10th...other than me of course... not sure if this right so how about a quick show of hands:

Simon Everett

SpeciMan

Zzippy

richi

phooey

Starvinmarvin

GB

darnsarf

HungryFisherman

Hake

ShyTangler?

Any others?

Yes, I'm hoping to make it, but it'll have to be a last minute decision, due to work, and I'll have to leave London at dawn on Sat, returning Sun night.