Tope Trip Wales

SpeciMan

I'll be up there , weather permitting for lunchtime Friday. wont have an anchor (GB 's bringing some up for me) but will be happy to have a mooch around inshore.

Picked up your anchors this morning martin, I will be driving up Friday lunchtime. I have 5 spare if anyone wants some.

Come on I can't wait any longer :sun:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i might buy an anchor of you i only have one and its 1.5 kgs :(

i aint made traces before so ill be fishing for knowledge on that also

do we have to beef up lines used etc or is 18 or so lbs good enuff?

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

18lb line is fine, you will need a rubbing leader of 50lb plus and a wire trace, again 50lb plus, 8/0 barbless hooks. Make a few rigs up before you get on the water, nothing worse than playing with crimps when all about you are catching fish!

SM :)

This is what Speciman used last year:

Use a link swivel on the end of this, then a further 6 feet of 80lb mono with a swivel to the link and a link swivel on the other end. A SHORT wire trace for a biting length - you only need 10" - OR heavy mono in the 100lb bracket (I prefer 30lb wire as it presents better) with a swivel to one end for easy on/off from the mono rubbing trace link swivel and a 6/0 or 8/0 barbless hook. I am going to try some semicircle hooks this time to see how they compare. Normally Mustad barbless Ray and Tope hooks are what we use - they work fine and even the doggies get hooked on them.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

thaks for advice i believe i wont be arriving till late of friday

9pm ish i i think :( in time for drinking though

would my shock leader do for the trace ? and would pike wires work from local shop?

Edited by Hungry Fisherman

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Hungry Fisherman - if you can get hold of a casting leader that is ideal as a wind on leader - attach a clip swivel to the end and you weight above the swivel. Then you just need a bout 5 feet of 80lb mono (which I have plenty of) and a short wire link to the hook of a foot or less (which I also have).

Get yourself along and we'll make some traces up for you - barbless ray and tope hooks you can get from the shop - you'll only a need one packet - if you mangle a trace just clip another one on and keep the mess. We can cut the hook off and make you up another trace with the same hook.

This goes for anyone else too. I have a couple of rolls of 80lb mono for rubbing traces and wire enough for bout 20 traces. Might need a donation for some more crimps though - will work for beer!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hungry Fisherman - if you can get hold of a casting leader that is ideal as a wind on leader - attach a clip swivel to the end and you weight above the swivel. Then you just need a bout 5 feet of 80lb mono (which I have plenty of) and a short wire link to the hook of a foot or less (which I also have).

Get yourself along and we'll make some traces up for you - barbless ray and tope hooks you can get from the shop - you'll only a need one packet - if you mangle a trace just clip another one on and keep the mess. We can cut the hook off and make you up another trace with the same hook.

This goes for anyone else too. I have a couple of rolls of 80lb mono for rubbing traces and wire enough for bout 20 traces. Might need a donation for some more crimps though - will work for beer!!

I have plenty of gear to make up traces. I use strimmer wire (mono type) for biters, it can be tied and goes very supple when streched. The black and decker misty white in 2mm is the best I've used so far. And 80lb penn shockleader for a rubbing trace. As for hooks I have a shedload of 6/0 and 7/0 vikings that I have recovered from all my pirks (about a hundred) all they need is the barb pinching off.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Just 4 Days left till Christmas :clap2::clap2::yeah::yeah:

Hope you all remember to take sun tan lotion.Its looking hot for this weekend :sun::sun:

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

looks like ill have to go to costco to get simons wages :D

anyone know where i can get a reasonable tope rod at short notice

i heard fladdens sell for 60 pounds ish :D

oh has anyone warned the campsite where gonna be there lol

Edited by Hungry Fisherman

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Just to wish all the guys going on the trip a really great time. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this time (not enough brownie points!) but will be there with you in spirit at least. To all those who haven't hooked up with a tope before...you're in for a real treat and moments you'll never forget. Remember to play safe boys...when the adrenilin kicks in it's easy to get a bit rash...unhook the beastie in the water especially if it's a biggie and only boat it if you are very confident the fish is played out (even a 30lber will give you a right kicking if it comes back to life! :blink: )....and don't forget your gloves...I only used one and paid the price with lost skin!

Most of all though enjoy yourselves and take lots of pictures for those of us who can't be there! The weather forecast here in Wales looks fantastic....so make sure you get plenty of extra shots for all those who think it rains every day over here! :sun:

Tightlines, Rich

Shame you cant make it , solid sunshine forecast but maybe a bit breezy if you believe the forecast!!

As well as the gloves dont forget your Factor 20 at least - I burnt last week and it was cloudyish!! :headhurt:

Ok Prowler 13