£80 for a day's fishing !

Ken L

I’ve just been looking on the net for details of freshwater fishing in Thailand and the first stop was Bung Sam Lan.

I was astonished to discover that they charge £80 a day to fish the place with one rod !

Admittedly, they will pick you up from your hotel and provide bait but these are hardly major overheads in Thailand.

What really p***ed me of was finding a site that showed that the price the locals pay to fish the same water (excluding guide, bait, pickup etc) is 500 Baht (about £7.00) a day.

It’s bad enough having to pay 10 times the local rate for access to tourist places like museums but it’s doubly annoying to discover that it’s not some racist Indian or Thai government official that’s decided to rip you off, it’s the French owner of the place ?

An anyone recommend any sensibly priced fishing in Thailand ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I’ve just been looking on the net for details of freshwater fishing in Thailand and the first stop was Bung Sam Lan.

I was astonished to discover that they charge £80 a day to fish the place with one rod !

Admittedly, they will pick you up from your hotel and provide bait but these are hardly major overheads in Thailand.

What really p***ed me of was finding a site that showed that the price the locals pay to fish the same water (excluding guide, bait, pickup etc) is 500 Baht (about £7.00) a day.

It’s bad enough having to pay 10 times the local rate for access to tourist places like museums but it’s doubly annoying to discover that it’s not some racist Indian or Thai government official that’s decided to rip you off, it’s the French owner of the place ?

An anyone recommend any sensibly priced fishing in Thailand ?

Berluddy hell £80, that is a years wages in Thailand...!!! :o

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

hopefully the air fares and the services of a bar girl are included :o

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yep. To read all the guff in the press, it's a nice quiet lake with some spectacular fish to be caught but the more I read, the more I'm comming to realise that it's just a muddy hole stocked to the max with (admittedly big) fish and it's actually within the main urban part of Bangkok.

Add that to the truely outlandish price tag and you can see why I've asked if anyone can suggest an alternative.

I have fished in Thailand before and caught cats on lures and gourami and barbs on trotted bread from the Kwai River. Something a little bigger would definatly be nice though.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

perhaps a bar girl will dress as a fish or perhaps you could be made up to resemble a local and fish cheaply or a mixture of both.

:thumbs:

anyway hopefully pictures of bar girls in various states of dress will be posted on your return ,but not girly boys i hasten to add as i had a frightening turn once pointing out the fabulous body of a girl emerging from a pool to my mrs only to be ridiculed when a "certain" appendage appeared also :o

ok ok girly boys from the waist up ,good fishing ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'll pass on the "Bar Girls" I think.

Quite apart from the truely alarming statistics about Thai prostitues and HIV, there's the fact that Thailand has the worlds highest incidence of women cutting off penises.

Then, there's the fact that I have been in several bars checking out the very attractive staff thinking "Hey, she's pretty. Nice arse. Nice tits. Hands are a bit big ? Cute little Adam's Apple..........NO, NO, NO, I'M NOT CONFUSED. lOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR GODS SAKE. Hey, the other barmaid is pretty. Nice arse. Nice tits. Hands are a bit big.......................TIME TO LEAVE"

Edited by Ken L

I supose though if some one wanted to become an "instant treble hunter" (Bung Sam Lan stocks big fish from all round the world) it would be the cheapest way to do it! Try adding up an air fair to South America for Arapaima,a flight to Texas for Alligator Gar,even a Ryan Air ticket to Barcelona for a trip to the Ebro then £80 a day doesnt sound that bad!!

Yup the ultimate hole in the ground.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

OI OI,

£80, wouldent you know its owend by a frenchman, mind you if we stopped buying all there lakes

they wouldent have to look elsewhere nah sod em.

:fish::fishing::thumbs: got to france instead.

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite