pike spinning

dom16

If it is a long rod it may not be too comfortable for a long session of tossing lures so you might wind up with a sore arm & hand.

If it is a slow rod (meaning it flexes easily to the half-way point or even further toward the handle) it won't be a real pleasure to cast with.

Those things being said, it certainly should work and for occasional lure tossing or to see if you enjoy it, I'd say it should be fine. Not the best tool for the job by any means but certainly one that can do the job.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

ive got a 1.75lb test curve barbel rod and i wanted to know if it would be alright for spinning for pike?

any answers would be great.cheers.

I used to use a 12 foot 1.75lb test curve pike rod with a baitcasting reel. Specifically, it used to get me over some reed beds close in to the bank on a certain Norfolk Broad. It lasted two seasons before I smashed it up by pulling too hard on a snag. But it worked.

Assuming it's the only suitable rod that you have right now, then go ahead and try it, but in time you'll probably want to find something shorter, more appropriate and easier to handle.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I agree with everything that's been said above and it now falls to me to state the obvious about always using a wire trace/leader, making sure you have appropriate unhooking tools and preferably starting off by going out with someone who does a fair bit of lure fishing and pike handleing so that neither you nor the fish regrets your first experience of lure fishing.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I often use a 1.2 lb t/c rod for lure fishing so I'd be happy to use a 1.75 rod. But, as has been said, the length and layout of your rod might not suit the rigors of constant casting or piking in general. 10 to 25 gram lures should present no difficulties. Good choice of lures for summer piking too.

Here is the original thread brought back to the top.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

cheers for the replies, im going down to totham pit (essex) on sunday to do some spinning. Ive only been there once before and we had a few pike to 11lb. Has anyone got any tips for fishing there.

Ive got a lure rod I made from a 1.75lb carp rod blank.Great for playing fish on,ok for casting,you can set the hooks ok by "pointing" the rod and using the strength of the braid.Only drawback is due to the softness you can only really use lures that have their own "inbuilt action" or spoons.It just doesnt have the right action to "impart action" to jerk baits,dogs etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!