Essex Shore Thornbacks

Sharkbyte

Having had an invite from Mr Cox we yesterday headed out in search of some Essex Thornbacks for the evening tide. Nothing unusual in that some would say taking into account recent results, however the boat stayed put and instead the dust was brushed from the dormant shore rods.

Over a session of some 4 hours we managed to beach two, both fish around the 4/4.5lb mark I guess. Not monsters but a very different experience playing them through shallow snaggy waters instead of pulling them up from the deep. As both fish were females, no doubt moving up river to drop their purses they were soon returned to go about their business. Having had the pleasure of landing a couple of our more illusive inshore species, this was seen as reward enough for our efforts.

EssexShoreRay1.jpg

Well done Sharkbyte,

Same tide/sun set & stretch of water I guess? but I sought my quarry from south of the river in Kent last night. I blanked allthough I know the fish are there and went to a reputable ray mark. Dare I ask what your bait was? and mybe I can post some fish pics too?

Happy fishing

Col.

There are always a few thornies to be found from the shore in Essex its just a case of where and when.

Over the past five years there have been some fair sized fish with 12lb being the largest that I know of.

Location is important, but any half decent angler using thier loaf could catch them seves one. Having said that I caught a very small one Monday of around 2.5 to 3lb, but I was beat by the Sharkbyte and his brother Wednesday as I blanked.

The location we are keeping quiet, although its not a secret locally it wouldnt take many anglers keeping all the fish they caught to have a big impact on a fairly small and localised population of thornback rays !

Again well done Wayne n Russ, and double well done for letting them go!

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Nice catch :) Are they far out?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks Cobweb! A combination of an overgrown barnet and my new semi fisheye lens.

The hair was sorted this morning and I'll shall be keeping the bonce away from the edge of the lens for my next capture. You should have seen some of pics I haven't shown :o , it's like being in a hall of mirrors! :D