Which Reel?

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase some new reels very soon.

My budget is £180 for 3 reels.

I have been looking at the Shimano 8000RE bait runner and the Daiwa Emcast Evo 5000.

Both are very similar in price, I am drawn toward the Daiwa, but am an old Shimano die hard at heart.

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Cum Catapultae Proscriptae Erunt Tum Soli Proscript Catapultas Habebunt

Im have the shimanos, they seem very good, tough, no frills reels, do the job, i think the only place they fall down is distance casting, as compared to some big pit reels, the spool is smaller, so the line revovles off the spool more for the same distance cast compared to a reel with a bigger spool, or in other words there is more friction on the line leaving the spool, i know what i mean anyway, even if it sounds confusuing!

also, you may be better, asking on the main coarse forum, as that has more viewers, so you would get quicker response.

Im have the shimanos, they seem very good, tough, no frills reels, do the job, i think the only place they fall down is distance casting, as compared to some big pit reels

Lee Jackson proved big pits do not cast any further then a standard baitrunner, its all down to your action not the reel.

Will, i love Shimanos to bits but if might not be overly happy with the REs, save the extra 40 quid for GTE-Bs if you want to stick to shimano, if thats too much then go for the Dawias as they will probably be smoother than REs. (your best bet is to play with both before you buy them TBH)

Lee Jackson proved big pits do not cast any further then a standard baitrunner, its all down to your action not the reel.

Will, i love Shimanos to bits but if might not be overly happy with the REs, save the extra 40 quid for GTE-Bs if you want to stick to shimano, if thats too much then go for the Dawias as they will probably be smoother than REs. (your best bet is to play with both before you buy them TBH)

Sorry John, but big pit reels are Easier to cast distance.......without doubt. :blink:

But if one is fishing at reasonable distances ie under 90 yds a normal bait runner will do the job..!! :thumbs:

Will, if you are on a budget, check out the Okuma Epix Pro bait runners...!

they are quality and i have seen them going on the web for circa £50 for the epb50 (same size as a Aero GTE 6010 baitrunner) A dont be put off because they are Okumas, this particular model ls class...!! :clap:

Edited by Zaphod

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase some new reels very soon.

My budget is £180 for 3 reels.

I have been looking at the Shimano 8000RE bait runner and the Daiwa Emcast Evo 5000.

Both are very similar in price, I am drawn toward the Daiwa, but am an old Shimano die hard at heart.

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Check out the Okums Epix pro baitfeeders EPB50s thay are quality and can be had for circa £50 a pop...!!

I have just realised that i am repeating myself...repeating myself...repeatin...................

Edited by Zaphod

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

The best thing to do is to list the features you want and then mark each reel. For example;

Long cast (wide spool)

Bait runner

Metal spool

Line capacity

line clip

etc.

I have reels by both companies and both have been fine. I switched to the shimano big pit baitrunners because I prefer baitrunners to baitrunner conversions.

Oh and bigger spools do enable bigger casts - that's a fact whatever any 'carp star' might say to the contrary.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

Will, I've recently bought three Diawa Regal BRi 5000 reels from the internet. I got change from £150 (just!) and I'm very pleased indeed with the reels. Good linelay and excellent for accurate casting. Check them out.

Regards, Ian

Model up for debate but make must be SHIMANO, nuff sed!!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• 2 weeks later...