Fishing for Eels during close season

bungral

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you mean fishing for eels in rivers during the close season

It is perfectly legal depending on where you live so check your regional by laws first

The main requirement of eel fishing in rivers during the coarse fish closed season is to do it without a hook. It's usually called bapping and involves a baiting needle and strands of wool. Thread the worms on the needle and then transfer them (thread them) onto the strands of wool , the idea being when the eel takes the worm the strands and fibres of the wool get meshed in the fine teeth of the eel

Edited by Brian Carragher

Some areas allow eel fishing in the closed season.I remember Severn Trent used to when I lived in the Midlands.You used to be ablr to ledger with worm for them but not use a float or fish baits! As the rules seem to vary so much (even though we now have a national Rod Licence!) it6s best to check with your own local office.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You can fish for eels in the close season but the hook must have 1/2 inch gape.

Cheers for the info.. Could you link me to what sort of hooks i'd be looking for. Bare in mind is been over 2 seasons since i've fished so i'm a lil rusty.

It's usually called bapping and involves a baiting needle and strands of wool.

I've always known it as "babbing" and ooh look, theres a link about it here:

http://www.askanglers.co.uk/Coarse/Eel/babbing_eels.html

I thought eel fishing was being generally discouraged at the moment, anyway, due to rapidly declining stocks?

Ah for the days of eel and flattie matches on the tidal R Wharfe. :)

Bloody Hell I'm showing my age now :(

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John