Fishing for Eels during close season

bungral

I've always known it as "babbing" and ooh look, theres a link about it here:

http://www.askanglers.co.uk/Coarse/Eel/babbing_eels.html

I thought eel fishing was being generally discouraged at the moment, anyway, due to rapidly declining stocks?

Is'nt that the truth about fishing, every time you have "p" you get a bite

Should have been babbing , obviously don't know my d's from my p's

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always known it as "babbing" and ooh look, theres a link about it here:

http://www.askanglers.co.uk/Coarse/Eel/babbing_eels.html

I thought eel fishing was being generally discouraged at the moment, anyway, due to rapidly declining stocks?

Trust me.. The Thames is teeming with them but in the places where this is an issue as long as you take care and return them i don't see a problem?

Trust me.. The Thames is teeming with them but in the places where this is an issue as long as you take care and return them i don't see a problem?

I am pretty sure that the "art" of babbing is a no no these days as you HAVE to attach a hook to your line any other meathod will be considered as breaking this byelaw.

I think this was a loop hole closed by the EA to bring rod and line angling clearer.

so the way I see it NO hook means NO fishing.

Best check tho first as everyone else suggested.

I contacted the northwest area office a couple of years ago and was told if i was fishing the river witha rod and line for anything other then trout i would be prosecuted. Very dodgey ground this so be very care full.

The EA would probably think you were barbel angling anyway.

Tony B.T Jolley

I am pretty sure that the "art" of babbing is a no no these days as you HAVE to attach a hook to your line any other meathod will be considered as breaking this byelaw.

I think this was a loop hole closed by the EA to bring rod and line angling clearer.

so the way I see it NO hook means NO fishing.

Best check tho first as everyone else suggested.

I contacted the northwest area office a couple of years ago and was told if i was fishing the river witha rod and line for anything other then trout i would be prosecuted. Very dodgey ground this so be very care full.

The EA would probably think you were barbel angling anyway.

I've read the Thames bylaws and I know for a fact that fishing for Eels in the tidal section of the Thames isn't covered by the close season. It says you can fish with rod and line but doesn't say anything about hooks.. saying that all the bylaws ever talk about is rod and line with no mention of hooks. I just have to find out the exact details of hooks and baits. I'm pretty sure worm is ok as my thoughts were confirmed by one post above and another site.

Fishing rivers during the close season in the pretence that you are after eels is one of the tricks that many anglers use to try to get round the rules. Now of course, if you are a genuine eel angler, then that's fair enough. But when you see anglers out and about most of the time they are not targeting eels.

If you're really serious about eels anyway, most of the time you will be on still waters, and your tactics and tackle, not to mention the time of day (or night!) that you are fishing will make that clear.

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal

When I first read about being able to fish for Eels during close season I thought it would be a way for people to bend the rules a little. As for me I would be going to fish for Eels. Even during open season when I used to fish the Thames at Richmond Lock even on normal coarse tackle ledgering with maggots 9 out of 10 catches were Eels anyway.

There used to be a couple of old blokes that fished with sodding great sea rods with line that looked like string using chicken liver as bait. They used to catch some massive Eels to take home and eat :blink:

edit: Plus if you were trying to get around the rules... Why bother? Why not just go to a lake or canal?

Edited by bungral

it's not allowed this was taken from the EA site on the thames byelaws

iv) Fishing for eels with rod and line. Regional Byelaw 7

Made 23rd August 1976

Confirmed and Implemented 6th June 1978

There is no close season when fishing for eels with rod and line in the tidal River Thames downstream of the Thames Barrier.

so as long as you fish the tidal river you are ok

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Ay... you've just said it isn't allowed and it is allowed...?

I've read those bylaws and already know you can do it i'm just after what restrictions are in place such as baits and hooks which a couple of guys have helped with.

Edited by bungral

yes you can fish the tidal river but not the non tidal

so it's down river of the barrier

and no restrictions on bait or hooks

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.