Buzzers - fat or thin ?

JustOneLastCast

I'm relatively new to fly fishing but this is my understanding and my observations. (hope they are close to the mark :) )

Shipman's buzzers imitate the emerging Midge and are fished on/in/or just under the surface film. They imitate that moment when the midge is trapped momentarily before it emerges and flies off.

Epoxy/superglue buzzers imitate the midge as it makes it's journey from lake bed to the surface.

If the fish are having it on a buzzer hatch then you can generally make a call as what to use by studying them feeding. If you see mouths then the fish are taking emergers (you can often spot a fly appear and get engulfed), if the fish are just pushing the water making tail patterns of swirling then i'd go for a Epoxy/superglue buzzer or a Diawl Bach. If you see no signs of fish on the surface then that does not mean they are not feeding on them. Buzzers make up a massive part of the trouts diet. they are just feeding deeper.

Better still fish a team of buzzers, covering your options, when you have an idea of whats happening change your team to maximise your chances.

Remember, any retrieve is generally too fast with these flies. Though I have found the occasional tweak, or lift to allow the fly to fall back down the layers can bring instant results.

Singy

Paul Singleton

Thanks for your excellent and speedy response.

I 'kind a' fluffed all last year - only used fast sinking line and boobies. I caught loads of fish but I've got fed up with just bottom trawling. These buzzers seem a lot more interesting .

Seems like I should only use a Shipmans buzzer when I can see surface movement.

Am I correct in believing that the most common buzzers are black or red?

Is a good epoxy buzzer a black body and red thorax?

Sorry so many questions , but I just want to learn and also confirm what I think I've read is correct

I need to buy some buzzers and don't want to waste my money on buzzers that look pretty but won't catch fish.

Hi

the previous answer was just about spot on. The Shipmans is one of my favourite flies. Put a tiny drop of floatant on it (I use Gink, but not too much) so that it lays flat in the surface film and just fish it static, or with possibly tiny tweeks. I've known it to take plenty of fish, even when there is no visible rise. I sometimes also use it as a wake fly, retreiving it fast across the surface. Watching the bow wave appear behind it is one of the most exciting sights in fly fishing, but remember, if you get a chase, don't stop but keep pulling :)

The epoxy buzzer can take trout at any time and at any depth. I like very slim bodied buzzers (Jim Doyle makes the best I've seen :thumbs: ) My favourite is black with a silver rib. Fish almost static or let it drift with the wind, watching your leader or fly line tip for the take, which can be quite savage! Sometimes a "sink and draw" technique works really well with a fast long pull and then pause to let it sink again.

Persevere with buzzers, much more fun than a sinking line and boobies. These days I use a 2wt rod and floating line with a single buzzer, way to go :P

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

.... I like very slim bodied buzzers (Jim Doyle makes the best I've seen :thumbs: ) My favourite is black with a silver rib. .......

Thanks Sportman for your helpful response and the very helpful info.

Any chance of posting a picture of the Jim Doyle's slim bodied black with silver rib buzzer?

I've tried to contact you via PM. For some reason I don't seem to be able to send you or anybody a PM . I'm getting a screen message suggesting I 'log in' although I'm obviously logged in - otherwise I couldn't make this posting. OR it's suggesting I don't have permission to use the PM feature; don't know why ????????????

I've sent 2 different email messages to the forums administrator. Both sent last week asking for help with my PM problem. But, I'm still awaiting a response. :wallbash:

Let's hope I get a quicker response from the trout when they see my buzzers :D

I've tried to contact you via PM. For some reason I don't seem to be able to send you or anybody a PM . I'm getting a screen message suggesting I 'log in' although I'm obviously logged in - otherwise I couldn't make this posting. OR it's suggesting I don't have permission to use the PM feature; don't know why ????????????

Sorry, but the PM feature is locked to all newcomers to stop abuse of the system (it has happened in the past), once you're no longer under mod approval of posts you'll find that you can use PM's too :)

Btw, if you only sent emails to the administrators, I would not have received it....

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Btw, if you only sent emails to the administrators, I would not have received it....

Tight lines

I understand the problem. Some forums I will not join/post on due to the sometimes abusive and rude nature of the postings

I don't really know who I contacted . If it was not yourself I apologize; but, please tell me who rec'd my emails.

I used the link on the forum error page "Contact the forums administrator" and sent the messages to:- forums@anglersnet.co.uk <forums@anglersnet.co.uk> The messages show as being sent via my email and they have not been bounced nor have I rec'd a reply.

How long do you have to wait before having PM approval?

Sorry guys to be 'off topic' here but I just want to know the rules etc and it seems open posting here is the only way to make any contact.

I don't really know who I contacted . If it was not yourself I apologize; but, please tell me who rec'd my emails.

I used the link on the forum error page "Contact the forums administrator" and sent the messages to:- forums@anglersnet.co.uk <forums@anglersnet.co.uk> The messages show as being sent via my email and they have not been bounced nor have I rec'd a reply.

They might have gone to the administrators, Elton, Newt and Si... (yes, there are dots in his name, I don't think he could remember the rest of the letters :yeah:;) ).

How long do you have to wait before having PM approval?

15 posts :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Thanks Sportman for your helpful response and the very helpful info.

Any chance of posting a picture of the Jim Doyle's slim bodied black with silver rib buzzer?

Jim Doyle used to join us on here from time to time and very generously sent samples of his most excellent flies to anyone who showed an interest. Sorry I don't have a picture of one, I used them all up catching trout :)

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Jim Doyle used to join us on here from time to time and very generously sent samples of his most excellent flies to anyone who showed an interest. Sorry I don't have a picture of one, I used them all up catching trout :)

They sure sound good.

Let's hope Jim Doyle browses the Forum again soon and reads this. I'd be very happy to buy some from him or put a donation in the local charity box.

Thanks Sportsman for your responses.