Seeking suggestions to improve accommodation for anglers

I work for VisitScotland and am putting together recommendations for all accommodation types (from hotels to caravan parks) on how they can be as welcoming as possible to anglers. Any suggestions (from spare stocks of flies to facilities for gutting) would be welcome.

Feedback greatly appreciated. Thank you B)

Education on catch and release fishing and an awareness of the existance of coarse and sea angling would be a good start.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I work for VisitScotland and am putting together recommendations for all accommodation types (from hotels to caravan parks) on how they can be as welcoming as possible to anglers. Any suggestions (from spare stocks of flies to facilities for gutting) would be welcome.

I think you will find a lot of referance to Visit Scotland on the Sea Fishing Chat Forum :angry:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Lots of well researched information about sea, coarse and game angling. Where, what you're likely to catch, how much it costs and for foreign visitors when (ie Close Seasons and which waters they apply to) Where you can hire boats, local guides/ghillies and contact details of skippers willing to take charter parties sea fishing

Directions to nearest fishing tackle shops, pubs, garages, petrol stations, supermarkets and local shops and emergency services (the last for foreign anglers, perhaps in a few euro languages)

Grab as many different brochures from local tourist attractions and make them available at the accommodation ....parks, museums, zoos, theates etc. Anglers usually have non fishing partners who also need entertaining.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hiya Barbra,

Lots of well researched information about sea, coarse and game angling. Where, what you're likely to catch, how much it costs and for foreign visitors when (ie Close Seasons and which waters they apply to) Where you can hire boats, local guides/ghillies and contact details of skippers wiling to take charter parties sea fishing

Directions to nearest fishing tackle shops, pubs, garages, petrol stations, supermarkets and local shops and emergency services (the last for foreign anglers, perhaps in a few euro languages)

Grab as many different brochures from local tourist attractions and make them available at the accommodation ....parks, museums, zoos, theates etc. Anglers usually have non fishing partners who also need entertaining.

Argyll has pretty much summed it up for you and there is not really much that can be added to his post.

I must admit, I was disappointed to see your posting only on the Game fishing forum and the non - fishing chat, though the fact that you are actually researching it is a major bonus :thumbs:

something as important as this should be covering Sea Anglers and Coarse Anglers also, although we don't have as high a profile up here as game anglers do. There is still a large number of visitors coming to Scotland to fish for coarse fish and what sea fish we have left.

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Having twice been to Scotland for fishing holidays in the last few years, with almost grown up family in tow, I was pleased to have good advice from Scottish friends on what could be caught and where.

Common Skate, pollack, even mullet from Troon, Ayr and Loch Fyne all seem to be closely guarded secrets.

That is a pity because Scotland has some of the best sea fishing in the UK, in places with backdrops of amazing scenery.

Having Spent £3,500 on a two week holiday (accompanied by 3 almost grown up children who spent a further fortune of their own whilst I was sitting on piers and in boats), and gone back for more with just my wife in tow, Scotland is sitting on an unrecognised gold-mine!

I can understand why you want to keep it for yourselves, but with coastal rural communities needing visitors and the jobs that they bring, the potential for developing Scotland's Recreational Sea fishing sector is something that should not be ignored.

Yet it's almost possible to get information, either down here or up there, on where to go, where charter boats can be hired, where anglers with their own boats can be launched, where to buy bait etc.

As I say, I was lucky in having Scottish friends who could point me in the right direction, for the average sea angler outside of Scotland, they simply have no idea what a tremendous place Scotland can be to pursue their sport, or how to go about doing that in Scotland.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust