Sailing

Simon Everett

Ordered the sail Nylon today :thumbs: I ordered 2 meteres x 150cm for about£7(Bright red)I have to go in the attic tomorrow to see if I can find the Sewing machine for the wife.Its only been up there for about 12 years :blink:

Looks like the weekend is meant to be a washout,so I can get on with the sail.

Going to make one without the window first.But if need be I can put one in at a later date.

zzippy2.gif

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in this sail as for where I paddle it could come in very handy. We have a prevailing SW wind down here - a downwind sail would help get me back from 'offshore kayak fishing marks' such as outer Poole Patch and Christchurch Ledge. Could also use it to get back from the Needles.

I got a reply back from Pacific Action already.

If I order direct from their 'factory' I can get a custom colour scheme and get the next size up for a similar price or perhaps less depending on import tax charges this side.

For the Scupper Pro they recommend the next size up (PA_MO15) to the one I think Simon reviewed - they will do a custom yellow one with clear panel at the bottom for $NZ 420 including shipping (they charge an extra £6.60 for the all yellow) which works out at £138 before any import taxes I may incur. The smaller one is $NZ 350 which works out about £115 before taxes.

http://www.pacificaction.com/pricelist.htm

Tempting.. if it works out I could sell the trolling motor..if not put it on ebay....

just E-mailed them about an all red one with a clear panel.You're right SpeciMan tempting----I think I'm tempted :thumbs: although I could probably make one, It wouldn't be as good as them :clap:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Right thats the bulk of my bits ordered.

For the mast can anyone see a problem using overflow pipe reinforced with dowel? This would fit into the t-piece perfectly.

Thats what I will be useing Simon.Dowl from B&Q and 15mm pipe.

Just got to order some fabric paint now,for the picture on the sail :)

zzippy2.gif

It will work, but won't give in the gusts, a good mast will flex and twist giving a little in the gusts to spill the wind. having a solid mast could result in damage to the sail or to the fittings attaching the sail to the kayak.

Have a look at using kite spars, they will be lighter and will give the necessary flex, most good kite shops should be able to supply them. You will need to reinforce around the foot as this will be the place that they will snap.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Looked closely at the Spirit site - the twin spars join in a Y piece that fits into a Scotty base.

I hate to say it, but that is a huge stress on the fixed base and I wouldn't want to fasten it so firmly to my £2000 composite kayak! The suction base looks much better because there will be some give in the rubber of the suction cups.

I was out yesterday and gave the sail a run on Windermere - it was fairly breezy! I had a go flinging a fly for a pike - and eventually got one! Only a little fella of about 3lbs, but it christened my T3.

Sailing downwind showed just how much force is generated is by the sail - I was able to surf with the waves and stayed on one for a couple of hundred yards! It flies! But, watch the masts - you need strength in the masts, especially at the base, that is where the full force of the sail is being transmitted. It might be worth reinforcing the landing net handles with some gaffer tape Mike.

Looking forward to getting back on the water. Hopefully at the weekend.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

If the sail spills correctly I don't see an awful lot of pressure being generated at the foot, the fittings used on windsurfers prove that, my state of the art race board which was capable of taking a 12m square sail had a tiny little brass bolt which slid into a fin box, the only force was downwards onto the board, unless of course there was some user error ie me getting hit by a gust, the sail not twisting off and me going over the top.

If the spars twist off in the gusts I think it should be fine, I have a design on the drawing board at the moment, and it will be using a scotty mount, but will parts from the world of Windsurfing and Kiting, maybe camping if it works out cheaper :D, I have just found out that there is a carbon spar manufacturer about 4 miles from my home, might give them a call.

Can't wait to see some of your photos.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

It will work, but won't give in the gusts, a good mast will flex and twist giving a little in the gusts to spill the wind. having a solid mast could result in damage to the sail or to the fittings attaching the sail to the kayak.

Have a look at using kite spars, they will be lighter and will give the necessary flex, most good kite shops should be able to supply them. You will need to reinforce around the foot as this will be the place that they will snap.

Hiya SM.

I think if you use a bit of hose pipe between the 2 T pieces with a bit of 8mm shock cord doubled over and threaded through,then put 2 clips on and attach it to the kayak.It should give in big gusts of wind.

That is how it was done on the NZ website.Thats the way I plan on doing it.

I will get some pics up once it is done :)

I oiled the wifes sewing machine up today.All ready for her to do the handy work :yeah:

zzippy2.gif

Zzippy, it will definitely work with the dowl, just saying it can be improved using flexible spars, the rigidity of your sail and mast will possibly make it faster, it will be just that bit more scarey and less comfortable than if you used flexible spars.

I will be using a smaller bore of hose to secure the spars on my version. Went to the kite shop in Covent Garden at lunchtime, the shop sells handbags now... didn't buy one :D

Speciman,

Whats your . :D

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X