How much backing?

Mike Dodds

Rockling - I'll post one tomorrow.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. I'll put a few turns of mono on then the whole 300 yards. And thanks for the tip about the broom handle, I hadn't though about that, 30lb mono is hard enough to break if it snags.

Something for me to do after Christmas Lunch and sleeping through the Queen :D

Rockling, C-

tut-tut, you have only answered half the question, you forgot to account for whether the braid is round or flat, the bedding profile i.e. perfect lay or stacking, tension in the mono i.e. shrinkage.......stay behind at break and complete properly this time!

Norrie, A+

Simple practicality wins every time!

You can break 30lb braid by pointing the rod at the snag and holding the spool with your thumb. 65lb braid needs a couple of turns round a cleat!!

I usually fill my reels 3/4 full then stick the braid on. 30lb braid is so thin you will easily fit all 300yds on, and there's no point in splitting it over 2 spools as you only end up with a useless length once you've had a couple of bad snags. I know, I used to do that!

[ 16. December 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Yup... agree with Shaun/Norrie I think I use about 60-80yrds of 15lb mono backing then the 300 yards of braid.

Depending on the usage the braid can be reversed after a year.

Wind on all the braid then fill to the spool level with mono. If you don't have a couple of 'spare' empty reels ( who does? ) - then take the mono of first and cut it at the braid join, then take the braid off back onto its own original spool. Spool on the mono and retie the braid - saves another 400yrds of manual winding :)

You lot must be wealthy, am I the only one that uses less braid? As braid is so expensive in the UK, I use 100mt per reel with mono backing of slightly higher breaking strain. I fish in up to 90ft water and rarely see the backing - if I do no matter as its still useable line. If I have to keep cutting yards off due to snagging then obviously I have to replace the remainder of the 100 yards if it gets too short for the depth of water fished. So far thats only happened once, usually scuffs and breaks are in the last few feet. My way means you can fish braid on three reels for the price of one spool. Alternatively you can fill three reels with braid. Your call (your money ) FWIW.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Ahh Salar, your method is cheaper to start, but more expensive in the long run due to wastage. At least I have the peace of mind that I know I won't get down to the joining knot. What will you do if you get a big blonde ray, cod or conger in a screaming tide and you see the joining knot slowly but surely run out through the rings? Fill your pants I reckon!! How will you fill that last minute space on a mid-channel wrecking trip? 100yds is definitely not enough for that.

OK, so a 300yd spool of braid is £18-30, but is that really expensive? It's probably less cost than a day's fuel for you.

You are right about the damage being the last few feet though, unless you get a cracked tipring like I had a couple of weeks ago :( :mad:

Or you could be even more daft and leave a rod dangling over the side with the drag set and motor off to another mark.......Bye-bye 300yds of 2-trip-old 50lb braid and enough backing to fill a large Uglyboat reel :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

[ 16. December 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

i use an abu 7000c4ld from the boat.

i fill with 30lb backing(about 50yds) then 300yds of 30lb fireline to that i have 12 feet on mono leader.varying strengths depending on what species is the target for the day.

the backing is 30lb as i have had the lot out in a fierce tide with a 50lb+ tope running away and i was glad i chose 30lb as i could really heap up the pressure. the braid very rarely goes out to half way so after a year or so you can turn it round so the stuff at the back is at the front and it will seem like new stuff again.

the mono leader will protect the braid from chaffing etc and usually will break at the knot first again saving the braid.

normally the leader is 30lbs but while tope fishing i will up it to 60lb to act as a rubbing leader.

Salar, You fishing local ponds then....?? :D We are generally fishing in about 400ft, so you see we need the 300yd spools. :) You must get up one day, but put more line on your reels first.... :D All the best, and hope you have a great Xmas mate....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

The stick portion of this one is a little over 9"

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President