Advice required for a new member

Nice to see such an active forum

I am in Jersey in the chanel Islands and have a problem, i have just invested in a new Ocean Kayak Drifter, due to its extra size and stability. But now have a problem. My son has a standard Canoe but I am trying to find a design or a T bar for the roof rack that will accomodate the size of the Drifter, being some 32 1/2 inches wide. I have seen standard J Bars and T bars but am concerned at there size and load bearing capability.

Also I am looking at starting a Ocean Kayak club for all interseted parties in Jersey, just a place to get together enjoy the sea and pass on experiances. Any interest either email me or PM me.

Look forward to further discusions.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SIJ.

Welcome to the site.

I've had two Capers (30inches+ width) tied against a set of upright bars on my roofrack which are not as high as the kayaks width. Can't see why it wouldn't work with a drifter and canoe providing its not a Canadian style one.

Do you fish from your kayak too?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi SIJ.

Welcome to the site.

I've had two Capers (30inches+ width) tied against a set of upright bars on my roofrack which are not as high as the kayaks width. Can't see why it wouldn't work with a drifter and canoe providing its not a Canadian style one.

Do you fish from your kayak too?

Hi SIJ, welcome mate :)

I will be there with my J bars atop my Warrior between 5th-12th June if you wanna try it for fit on them, let me know and feel free to try it! :)

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

My mate just done a trip to Austria with a 36" wide 16' open canoe using thule j-bars. Trip of a thousand mile and no problems. Now that is some lump, it looked huge and that was on a bmw X5. So it should not be a problem with a drifter.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

My mate just done a trip to Austria with a 36" wide 16' open canoe using thule j-bars. Trip of a thousand mile and no problems. Now that is some lump, it looked huge and that was on a bmw X5. So it should not be a problem with a drifter.

GB

Thanks for the advice i have looked at the J bars but can only source the thin type, anyone know were we can get wide J bars or can we self fabricate them?

Sea Doo, post me before you get hear and we can try a meet.

MIght take her out today.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice i have looked at the J bars but can only source the thin type, anyone know were we can get wide J bars or can we self fabricate them?

Cheers

Will do SIJ

Here's some that my mate made me. Round bar welded onto flat bar bolted onto roofrack rails. Lasted me 6 years so far with ALLSORTS of Yaks on top, still going strong!! It will even take the weight of a pigeon look :lol:

Cheers

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Right, out to check the sea again! (was very scruffy yeaterday :yucky: )

Cheers

I got my J-Bars from Lucas Bros in Gas place...give them a try :)

ps..Going out today ? I think its going to be blowing a bit..fresh F5 to strong F6...good luck :)

Edited by RayJ

Somerset

Tried to PM but got the following

'This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or their personal messenger inbox is full.'

Sounds like you're popular!

PROWLER 13 - RED

Jersey, C.I.