Cuba 2006

Tony U

Well I am back safe and well from Cuba and had an excellent visit. Anyone who has not been and is thinking of Disneyworld then you should really try it as an alternative to Florida, though it does not have the theme parks it makes up for it in other ways.

I managed to catch my first Tarpon, on a fly as well; after all it’s the only way to fish for them you know. It was not huge about 6lbs but who cares; I will never look at a Rainbow again, well at least for a few weeks. It was not on my first attempt for them, however. A few days earlier I had been fishing for them with my guide of the rocks on the north of the island (Cayo Guillermo that is not Cuba), and lost three tremendous fish the biggest estimated at around fifty pounds, which spat out the lure at the last moment straightening some pretty strong owner trebles in the process. We even had a far larger fish easily over 100lbs follow the popper into the shore but it would not strike the lure.

I had a few inshore trips trolling for snapper and whatever would strike but these where basically unsuccessful despite having produced big snapper for anglers the week before all we could manage were Barracuda and a couple of small Grouper. Though on my last day I did lose a big snapper or grouper when it took me into the coral and I could not get it out, (note to self go on 50lb braid next time).

We had a couple of trips spinning round the mangroves as this usually proves to be successful both in the size and the number of species caught, this year we only managed Barracuda but had some good fish to 10lbs plus which were great fun on light baitcasting gear

The real exciting incident on this trip was not the fishing but the fact on the first trip out the boat capsized on the way back in, tipping Sue me and Manuel the skipper into the “oggin.” No-one was hurt, Sue had a small cut on her nose and we lost some gear, yet another rod and reel and sue and I both lost our glasses though mine were returned later in the day as the locals dived down and retrieved the gear.

I have to state some of the most enjoyable fishing I had was when I was fishing for bait fish, Ballyhoo to be exact, these half beaked little scrappers are great fun on a light spinning rod and 4lb line. Bait was either bread or Banana (yes Banana everything in Cuba eats Banana) fished on a 2 ½ AAA Drennan Waggler, we had about twenty fish in half an hour and even managed to get a small bonefish feeding in amongst the shoal but this fish steadfastly refused to take a bait with a hook in it.

We had a major cold front move during the middle of the holiday and the wind and rain associated with it lead to some of my fishing trips being cancelled. Namely my Bonefishing trip to Cayo Paradon Grande and my trip out on one of the Marlin Boats, indeed the bad weather associated with this front caused the waves that resulted in the boat capsizing.

Pictures will folow when I get them up loaded to Photobucket.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Welcome home Tony,

Good to see that you enjoyed your holiday,i look forward to seeing the photo's.

:sun::thumbs::sun:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Your first tarpon on fly - way to go mate. Congratulations - I know how difficult that can be.

Will never forget my first fly-caught tarpon - they really are something special.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nice that you got back safe and well. Good report mate :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late but have finally got some piccies on Photobucket.

Cuba06034.jpg

A couple of small Baracuda

Cuba06018.jpg

My first Tarpon and on the fly as well

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.